Lourdes De Leon is a partner in the Firm’s Corporate & Commercial Practice Group and leads the Energy & Utilities Industry Group in the Manila office. She has 11 years of experience advising clients on various aspects of doing business in the Philippines, and handling of commercial transactions, including those related to mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and energy projects. Ms. De Leon wrote several publications, including Busy Road Ahead in the Push for Retail Competition in the Philippine Electricity Market. She joined the Firm in November 1999.
Ms. De Leon’s practice focuses on M&A work, public-private transactions, and energy and utilities projects. She has extensive experience assisting clients in establishing presence in the Philippines, and handling of deal structures and preparation and negotiation of transaction documents, for various types of projects. She advises clients on issues relating to foreign equity restrictions, investment and governance structures, land acquisition and leases, construction and environmental laws, and national and local permitting and regulatory issues.
- Act as counsel to a Korean power company in the conduct of legal due diligence in connection with its participation in a bid to acquire shares in a holding company that indirectly holds a minority interest in two power generating companies in the Philippines, and advise on the transaction documentation and deal structuring.
- Advise a leading global energy company on its potential acquisition from a company that develops and operates power projects globally of all of the latter’s interests in a 460-MW coal-fired power plant located in Quezon Province, Philippines. Work included a due diligence review on the project company and the operator of the project, which involved, among others, a review of real property related documents on the facility site comprised of more than 100 hectares and the transmission line site composed of more than 350 land titles.
- Act for a worldwide leader in the design, development, and manufacture of analog, mixed-signal, high-frequency, and digital circuits in connection with the acquisition of land located in an industrial estate designated as a Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA) ecozone and advised on the deal structure and documentation to resolve contentious issues between the seller and mortgage lien holder.
- Act for a US-based leading global financial institution in connection with the establishment of its shared services operation in the Philippines and registration of the same with the PEZA. Work involved conducting a legal due diligence review on the project site (comprising more than 15,000 square meters of leasable area located in 10 floors of a premier business center) and providing comprehensive and integrated legal representation in connection with the preparation and negotiation of various agreements for the lease and fit-out works.
- Advise on and assist a European holding company in the Philippine portion of the acquisition of the water controls business of a global company engaged in the manufacturing and marketing of water related products.
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines
- Federacion International de Abogadas
- United Architects of the Philippines
Ateneo de Manila University
University of San Carlos
Quisumbing Torres is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.