Hideyuki Yamamoto is a member of the Firm’s Tax and Transfer Pricing Practice Group in Tokyo, and previously worked in the Firm’s Washington office. He advises mainly on dispute related matters, including tax litigation. Prior to joining Baker & McKenzie, Mr. Yamamoto was engaged for several years as a CPA at one of Japan’s largest accounting firms. Mr. Yamamoto successively held various positions at the Japan Federation of Bar Associations, including member of the Taxation Committee, chairman of the Tax Procedure and Tax Dispute Division, and vice chairman of the project team to reform the Act on General Rules for National Tax. He also served as chairman of the Tokyo Bar Association Tax Committee.
Mr. Yamamoto focuses on matters where law, accounting and taxation are fused. He is seasoned in representing taxpayers, not just in litigation, but from pre-litigation steps of tax appeals and review applications. Mr. Yamamoto also handles a wide range of transfer pricing issues, including applications for advance pricing agreements and mutual agreement procedures. In addition to taxation, he handles litigation concerning customs, cross-border disputes and consultations pertaining to civil commercial disputes, as well as dispute resolution and general corporate law matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted as lead counsel for Adobe Systems in an action to seek revocation of transfer pricing taxation (entire reassessment revoked: Tokyo High Court decision on 30 October 2008 (final)).
- Acted for a foreign corporation in an action to seek revocation of taxation on derivatives transactions (reassessment of approx. 11 billion JPY reversed: Tokyo District Court decision on 7 December 2012).
- Represented a Japanese electronic component company in an administrative appeal to seek revocation of transfer pricing taxation (most of the reassessment reversed).
- Acted for a chemical make in a review application to seek revocation of transfer price taxation (part of the reassessment reversed).
- Acted for a Japanese corporation in an appeal to National Tax Tribunal to seek revocation of entire tax imposed on the donation made to a Southeast Asian public corporation in relation to the sale of a system based on international bidding (revoked in its entirety).
- Acted for a Japanese corporation in an administrative appeal to seek revocation of entire tax imposed on the donation made in relation to the acquisition of resource development interests in Southeast Asia (revoked in its entirety).
- Represented a client in an action seeking cancellation of a notice disposition on the ground of no cause against the request for correction seeking application of special deduction on income from an assignment of residential property (cancelled in its entirety: Tokyo High Court decision on 15 July 2010 (final)).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Japan Federation of Bar Associations
- Tokyo Bar Association
- Japanese Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Tokyo Certified Public Tax Accountants Association
- Tokyo Licensed Tax Accountants Association
- Japan Tax Jurisprudence Association
- Japan Tax Litigation Society
University of Pennsylvania Law School
(Bachelor of Economics)
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.