Grant Hanessian serves as co-chair of the Firm’s International Arbitration Group. He chaired the Litigation Department of the Firm’s New York office from 2003 to 2012. Mr. Hanessian is vice chairman of the Arbitration & ADR Committee of the United States Council for International Business (USCIB), the US national committee of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC); a member the ICC Commission on Arbitration, ICC Task Force on International Arbitration with States and State Entities, the AAA-ICDR International Advisory Committee and its Subcommittee on Revision of the ICDR Rules and the ICDR Advisory Committee on Brazil, founding board member of the New York International Arbitration Center, the New York State Bar Association Task Force on International Arbitration, the International Arbitration Club of New York, the Arbitration Committee of the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution, the New York City Bar Association's International Law Committee and Club Español del Arbitraje. Mr. Hanessian writes and speaks frequently on international arbitration topics. He is editor of ICDR Awards and Commentaries (Juris Pub. 2012) and co-editor of Comparison of International Arbitration Rules (American Bar Association Section of International Law, forthcoming 2013), International Arbitration Checklists (Juris Pub., 2nd ed., 2008), Gulf War Claims Reporter (ILI/Kluwer, 1998) and Baker & McKenzie's International Litigation & Arbitration Newsletter. Mr. Hanessian is recommended by Chambers Global and USA Guides, PLC Which lawyer?, Legal 500, The International Who’s Who of Commercial Arbitration and Expert Guide to Leading Practitioners in International Arbitration.
Mr. Hanessian has more than 25 years of experience as counsel and arbitrator in disputes concerning contract, investment treaty, energy, construction, commodities, financial services, insurance, intellectual property and other matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing investors and governments in arbitrations concerning claims under bilateral and multilateral investment treaties.
- Representing Petrobras in New York arbitrations concerning design and construction of two off-shore floating production, storage and offloading vessels and claims concerning acquisition of power plant in Brazil.
- Representing a US subsidiary of a French company in arbitrations and domestic court actions in US concerning EPC contracts for ethanol projects.
- Representing a Taiwanese railway company in a Singapore arbitration regarding a contract to provide trains for high-speed railway in Taiwan.
- Representing Korean manufacturer of semiconductor equipment in New York arbitration and subsequent US bankruptcy proceedings concerning joint development and sales agreement.
- Representing Asian government in arbitration and domestic court actions regarding contractual disputes relating to bond offering.
- Representing Egypt in a dispute regarding workers remittances from Iraq before the United Nations Compensation Commission.
- Represented numerous companies in claims against Iran before the Iran-US Claims Tribunal and claims against Iraq before the United Nations Compensation Commission.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Society of International Law
- American Bar Association
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- International Chamber of Commerce
- American Arbitration Association
- London Court of International Arbitration
New York~United States (1986)
New York University
University of Pennsylvania
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.