Kei Matsumoto is a member of the Firm’s IP/IT/EC group in Tokyo. Prior to joining Baker & McKenzie, he worked in the patent litigation division of a major US law firm, where he handled patent litigation involving Japanese companies and other litigation in the US. Mr. Matsumoto also has considerable experience in dispute resolution cases inside and outside the courts as well as corporate/M&A related cases. Mr. Matsumoto is a native Japanese speaker and is fluent in English.
Mr. Matsumoto primarily handles intellectual property transactions and domestic and international patent disputes. He provides overall legal advice on the protection of intellectual property, contents of contracts and other related issues to Japanese companies establishing operations overseas as well as clients in IT industry. He also handles M&A related work and a variety of dispute resolution cases. Recently, Mr. Matsumoto focuses on practices related to the Long-Term Care Insurance Act and other social security issues.
Representative Legal Matters
- Worked on patent litigation concerning optical discs and semiconductors in the US where Japanese companies were involved.
- Represented a foreign company in patent infringement litigation and in an action against a patent invalidation trial.
- Represented a client in negotiations with respect to an acquisition of a major hotel by conducting due diligence and drafting contracts.
- Represented and advised a major US IT company (from Japan’s end) with respect to review of contract and its expansion in the Japanese market.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
Admissions aux Barreaux
New York~United States (2007)
Northwestern University School of Law
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.