Jennifer Van Dale is a partner in the Firm’s Employment Law Group and heads the Hong Kong practice. She has extensive experience advising on legal and commercial issues arising out of the employment relationships in Asia. PLC Which lawyer? lists her as a leading lawyer in the field of Hong Kong labor and employee benefits, while Legal 500 Asia Pacific and Chambers Asia Pacific recommend her in Hong Kong employment work. Ms. Van Dale graduated from Rutgers University with a B.A. in Chinese and from the University of Hong Kong with a first class LL.B and P.C.LL. She is admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong.
Ms. Van Dale has been advising corporate clients on legal and commercial issues arising out of the employment relationship in Hong Kong and the Asia Pacific region for over 15 years. She focuses on compensation and benefits, general advisory work and transaction support, as well as data privacy and discrimination. She also advises regularly on protection of trade secrets and confidential information; implementing data privacy strategies and cross-border transfers of employee data; implementing HR policies (including harassment and discrimination, fraud, corruption and employee surveillance policies); outsourcing arrangements; and risk management in the use of contract staff and independent contractors.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised on integration of employees and harmonisation of terms and benefits in the Asia Pacific region following the merger of two public financial institutions.
- Advising public and private multinational corporations across more than 20 jurisdictions on global cost-cutting strategies, including salary reductions, temporary shutdowns and redundancies across various industries including banking and finance, technology and retail.
- Advised a multinational pharmaceutical company on a change in control agreement across 48 jurisdictions.
- Conducted trainings for managers and directors on termination, restructuring, obligations to manage employees, discrimination, harassment and occupational health and safety.
- Advising clients on the fiduciary obligations, directors' duties, confidential information, privacy laws and conflicts of interest.
- Designing and implementing employment and executive contracts and best practice policies, including the preparation of discretionary bonus plans, commission schemes, post employment restrictions, and other provisions designed to protect business.
- Advising on claims for unfair dismissal, discrimination and breach of contract (including bonus plans and policies).
Professional Associations and Memberships
Admissions aux Barreaux
Hong Kong (1999)
University of Hong Kong
University of Hong Kong
Baker & McKenzie, a Hong Kong partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.