Colin D. Cook is a member of the Firm’s Major Projects: Energy, Mining & Infrastructure Group. He is experienced in upstream and downstream aspects of oil & gas projects. He has advised Japanese companies active in the energy sector, including trading companies, utilities and E&P companies. Mr. Cook was seconded to the legal department of a major Japanese trading company for two and a half years and to a utility company for over two years. Prior to joining Baker & McKenzie’s Tokyo office, he was based in Washington, DC as part of the construction group at a leading US law firm.
Mr. Cook focuses his practice on the oil & gas sector, including conventional and unconventional resources.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a Japanese buyer regarding long term sales and purchase agreements for LNG to be produced from a gas field located offshore Western Australia.
- Advised a Japanese utility company in relation to its acquisition of an equity interest in the BG Group’s Queensland Curtis LNG Project in Australia and on aspects of the first long-term sales and purchase agreement for supply of LNG to Japan sourced from coal seam gas.
- Advised a Japanese utility company in relation to its acquisition of an equity interest in Chevron’s Wheatstone Project in Western Australia and a long term LNG sales and purchase agreement.
- Represented a Japanese trading company in relation to its potential acquisition of a grain terminal in the Philippines.
- Negotiated an offtake agreement for a Japanese buyer of fuel oil product from an Indonesian producer.
- Defended a construction manager in litigation related to the construction of the retractable roof at Miller Park, a baseball stadium located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Represented a construction manager in arbitration related to the construction of a stadium in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN) - Member
- American Chamber of Commerce in Japan - Member
Admissions aux Barreaux
Japan (Attorney at Foreign Law)~Japan (2013)
District of Columbia~United States (2004)
Virginia~United States (2003)
George Washington University Law School
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.