Dr. Akira Inoue is a partner in the Firm's Tokyo office and has consistently dealt with cross-border antitrust cases for more than 10 years. He is highly respected in the antitrust and competition field and frequently sought the opinion on competition policy from the government. He has been the member of the steering committee of the Abuse of Dominance Task Force of the Global Antitrust Group and the Asia Pacific Competition Group of Baker & McKenzie, and the Antitrust Group of the Tokyo office. He has written various publications and presented numerous presentations on related matters. Prior to joining Baker & McKenzie, he worked for one of Tokyo's most respected law firms. He is a native Japanese speaker and is fluent in English.
Dr. Inoue has been recognized as a Leading Individual in the antitrust area by Chambers Asia.
Dr. Inoue represents clients based in Japan, US and Europe in domestic and cross-border antitrust cases (international and domestic cartel, private monopolization and merger control cases) especially in a criminal investigation and trial, administrative investigation and hearing, litigation and arbitration in Japan and other jurisdictions. He provides legal advice in antitrust and competitive law to clients in many industries such as domestic and international investment banks, auto parts, computers, medical device, pharmaceutical manufacturers and construction.
Representative Legal Matters
Dr. Inoue has extensive experience in antitrust-related cases, and domestic and international dispute matters, including the following deals:
Illustrative International and Domestic Antitrust Experience
International and Domestic Cartel
View All »
- Counsel for a Japanese construction company listed on the first section of TSE in a series of administrative investigation and hearing by JFTC with regard to a bid-rigging case.
- Counsel for a leading Japanese construction company in an administrative investigation and hearing by JFTC with regard to a bid-rigging case.
- Chief coordinating counsel for a US-based, NYSE-listed chemical company in an administrative investigation and hearing by JFTC with regard to an international cartel case. Also acted for the client in a class action lawsuits in the US (in the first trial and the appeal trial).
- Chief coordinating counsel for a US-based, NYSE-listed autoparts company in the investigation and successful plea bargaining with US DOJ with regard to an international cartel case. Also acted as lead counsel for a client in a successful submission of leniency application and administrative investigation by JFTC.
- Lead counsel for a Japanese oil company listed in the first section of TSE in a bid-rigging case in an administrative investigation and hearing by JFTC, and the successful defense of a criminal trial at TDC.
- Counsel for a leading Japanese shutter manufacturer listed in the first section of TSC in bid-rigging, market allocation and price fixing case in a successful leniency submission and administrative investigation by JFTC.
- Counsel for leading elevator and lift manufacturer based in Europe in international cartel in administrative investigation by EC DG Comp and litigation at General Court.
- Lead counsel for leading elevator and lift manufacturer based in Europe in international cartel in successful leniency submission and administrative hearing by JFTC.
- Counsel for leading consumer electric company listed at the first section of TSE in international cartel case in class action lawsuit in US.
- Lead counsel for leading tourist company listed at the first section of TSE in price fixing and bid rigging case in successful leniency submission and administrative investigation by JFTC.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- Competition Law Association - Member
Admissions aux Barreaux
New York~United States (2006)
University of Virginia School of Law
Legal Research & Training Inst of Supreme Court of Japan
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.