John Woods is co-head of the Firm's global cybersecurity practice and a partner based in Washington, DC. His work conducting cybersecurity related and data intensive investigations and litigations over the past fifteen years has earned him rankings and recognition in Chambers Global and USA guides. He also has represented clients in a variety of disputes matters, including class actions, regulatory litigations and criminal antitrust proceedings.
Mr. Woods focuses his practice on advising on cybersecurity related legal issues, conducting investigations into network intrusions, counseling in the aftermath of data privacy breaches and representing clients in regulatory proceedings and litigation. He has a particular focus on advising members of the financial sector with regard to the legal and regulatory aspects of cybersecurity risk management.
Representative Legal Matters
- Serving as counsel to global payment processor with regard to attack against software supporting SWIFT transactions in Asian country.
- Serving as board counsel to an insurance holding company regulated by the Federal Reserve Board with regard to cybersecurity related legal matters.
- Directed privileged assessment of federally regulated bank utilizing the FFIEC Cybersecurity Assessment Tool.
- Served as counsel to US payment processor in network intrusion that resulted in utilization attack against back-end databases and resulting exploitation of pre-paid payment cards to withdraw USD40 million global ATM network. Coordinated investigation with law enforcement in 13 jurisdictions through INTERPOL.
- Served as counsel for a global payment processor in a cybersecurity incident that resulted in losses exceeding USD9.5 million from the global ATM network. Coordinated Company response to the Federal Reserve Board, OCC and FDIC and in subsequent consumer privacy class action.
- Conducted FFIEC mandated independent investigation for major financial services company on nature, scope and risk resulting from a network intrusion.
- Served as lead counsel for Fortune 250 entity on global cybersecurity assessment. Directed and provided oversight to over 40 network security engineers and assessors from major global consultancy.
- Acted as special counsel to major retailer and led investigation into network intrusion in which over 45 million credit cards were compromised.
- Retained by Chairman of the Board of major transportation critical infrastructure provider to independently investigate management’s oversight of cybersecurity related risks.
- Advised major US telecommunications provider on compliance with FCC privacy related consent decree.
- Ranked in Litigation: E-Discovery, Chambers Global, 2012 – 2016
- Ranked in Nationwide Litigation: E-Discovery, Chambers USA, 2010 – 2016
- Ranked in Cybercrime, Legal 500, 2014
- Mentioned in Band 1 Practice, Global Data Protection, Chambers Global, 2010 – 2011
- District of Columbia~United States (1998)
- Virginia~United States (1996)
- New Hampshire~United States (1995)
- University of Virginia School of Law (J.D.) (1995)
- Colby College (B.A. Government) (1990)