Justin Welch practices in the area of intellectual property, with particular emphasis on global trademark portfolio management and anti-counterfeiting. He also counsels clients on software licensing and IT transactions as well as IP issues in corporate transactions. Mr. Welch is a member of and extensively involved in professional organizations at the local and international level including the International Trademark Association where he currently serves as a member of the Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition Committee as well as the Dallas Bar Association IP Section's New Lawyers Committee as a Treasurer.
Mr. Welch focuses his practice on domestic and international trademark protection, prosecution, enforcement and general brand management. He helps oversee the management of domestic and international trademark portfolios on a worldwide basis. Mr. Welch also handles the filing and prosecution of worldwide trademark applications, cancellation and opposition proceedings, acquisition and transfer of intellectual property and other related transactional work. Mr. Welch also has experience in copyright matters as well as software licensing and IT transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Managing global trademark portfolios for companies in a variety of industries, including the electronics, luxury, restaurant, industrial, and entertainment industries.
- Counseling clients on the selection and adoption of trademarks, including conducting and analyzing trademark clearance searches, both in the US and internationally.
- Filing, coordinating, and prosecuting trademark applications in the US and around the globe.
- Handling trademark disputes before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, Federal Court, and in international arenas through a global network of trademark professionals.
- Managing US and multinational anti-counterfeiting and enforcement programs for well-known companies in the industrial and electronics industries.
- Assisting with IP issues in corporate transactions, including drafting and analyzing IP-related provisions and agreements, conducting due diligence, post-acquisition integration, and perfection of security interests globally.
- Successfully prosecuted numerous domain name recovery proceedings under the Uniform Domain-Name Resolution Policy.
- Drafting and negotiating intellectual property agreements, including coexistence and settlement agreements, assignments, license agreements, non-disclosure agreements.
- Providing copyright registrability and infringement advice.
- Assisting clients with copyright and trademark enforcement in social media forums (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Trademark Association (INTA) - Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition Committee, Member
- Dallas Bar Association - Intellectual Property Section New Lawyers Committee, Treasurer
- Texas~United States (2009)
- Massachusetts~United States (2008)
- Rhode Island (inactive)~United States (2008)
- Vanderbilt University Law School (J.D. Dean's List) (2008)
- Lipscomb University (B.S. magna cum laude) (2005)