Harry A. Valetk is Of Counsel in the International Commercial Practice Group in the New York office, advising global organizations on privacy and data security compliance requirements. He regularly supports companies in the insurance and financial services sector, retail, pharmaceutical/ healthcare, transportation/ logistics, hospitality, defense, social media, cloud technology, and manufacturing industries. His practice is focused on delivering commercially practical advice on designing security, privacy, and technologically compliant solutions. Harry's practice routinely covers issues that range from supporting M&A transactions that result in cross-border data transfers, to digital marketing, regulatory enforcement defense, and cyber security and data breach incident response. He also helps clients perform privacy risk assessments for EU-US Privacy Shield certifications, and works with highly-regulated entities on numerous data protection topics, including HIPAA, GLBA, FERPA, the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).
Harry puts on an insider’s perspective when advising his clients having worked in-house as Director of MetLife’s Global Privacy Office in New York for almost seven years. In that role, he supported business lines in more than 60 countries to protect the personal data of over 90 million MetLife customers. Additionally, he led numerous strategic efforts to build out a global Privacy Risk Framework, achieve global compliance with applicable data privacy laws, deploy cross-border data transfer solutions, implement global training and awareness initiatives, and manage data and cyber security incidents. Before MetLife, Harry led the video game publishing industry’s privacy compliance efforts as the Director of Privacy Online for the Entertainment Software Rating Board and its COPPA Safe Harbor Seal Program. Finally, Harry served as a trial attorney for the U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Division.
Harry advises companies on matters including:
- designing global data privacy policies and notices, data transfer agreements, and cross-border data transfer solutions;
- developing compliance programs app developers, financial services firms, and insurers and other health care industry participants to defend against government investigations into their practices;
- navigating cross-border data transfers and other obligations applicable to a multinational’s commercial and consumer customer base;
- managing data security incidents and building response plans; and
- supporting data privacy and security contract negotiations when outsourcing services across multiple jurisdictions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advises on the design and implementation of global data privacy policies and notices, data transfer agreements, and cross-border data transfer solutions.
- Advises on direct marketing obligations applicable to a multinational's commercial and consumer customer base.
- Advises on data security incident response plans.
- Advises online privacy assessments of cookie use, passive tracking, and third-party advertising across multiple jurisdictions.
- Top Lawyer Under 40, Hispanic National Bar Association, 2011
- Recipient, Fulbright Senior Specialist Grant, 2008
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) - Certified Information Privacy Professional
- Hispanic National Bar Association - Former Deputy Regional President
- New York City Bar Association - Judiciary Commitee and the Information Technology Law Committee
- U.S. Court of International Trade~United States (2003)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit~United States (2003)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit~United States (2002)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York~United States (2000)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York~United States (2000)
- New York~United States (1999)
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (J.D.) (1998)
- Bernard M. Baruch College (B.B.A. Marketing Management cum laude) (1995)