Paul is the London-based Global Chair of Baker McKenzie. He joined the firm in 1986 focusing on intellectual property and made partner in 1996. He served as London Managing Partner from 2013 to 2016, when he was named the Firm's first British Chair. Educated in the UK and France, Paul has advised international clients with extensive IP portfolios on protection and enforcement, and has vast experience in trade mark, trade secret, copyright, design and technology issues.
Paul has been the global relationship partner for a range of international clients, which gives him a broad exposure to the changing needs of general counsels and company boards worldwide. He is a member of several business organizations, including the International Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition, Business Alliance Against Counterfeiting and Anti-Piracy, French Trade Mark & Design Association, the International Trademark Association. Paul served on the Firm's Policy Committee and also led the Firm's Global Intellectual Property practice group from 2004 to 2010.
Paul has gained a wide range of experience in trade mark, trade secret, passing off, copyright, design and technology issues. He advises a range of global clients with extensive IP portfolios on strategies for protection and enforcement of their IP rights. He has been instrumental in developing new ways of working with global clients and pioneered the IP group's off-shoring strategy involving the creation of its Global IP Support Centre in Manila. Paul counts Cisco, L’Oréal, HP, JCB, British American Tobacco, and Eli Lilly, among clients he represents both with respect to their UK legal matters and, for many, as coordinator for their global IP needs.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented L'Oréal before the European Court of Justice in the leading trade mark case of L'Oréal v Bellure concerning the sale of look-a-like and smell-a-like fragrances, which raised questions of critical importance to the protection of well-known brands.
- Acted for Stella McCartney/YSL Beauté in successfully resisting a High Court injunction application and the high-profile attempt by Ali Hewson's skincare company Nude Brands to prevent the launch of the new Stellanude perfume.
- Leads the team acting for the UK Football Association Premier League as preferred advisors in relation to its global Anti-Counterfeiting Programme.
- Defended Sportingbet from an attack on the ownership of its domain name <wallstreet.com> before the World Intellectual Property Office (WIPO) domain name disputes panel.
- Leads the team managing Calvin Klein's IP enforcement programme for Europe and the Middle East.
- Advising British American Tobacco in relation to trade mark and other IP matters.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- IACC - Member
- BASCAP - Member
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- International Trademark Association (INTA) - Member
- Association des Practiciens du Droit des Marques et des Modèles (APRAM) - Board Member
- Hong Kong (1992)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1988)
- College of Law at Guildford (L.S.F.) (1986)
- University of Paris XI (Licence en droit) (1985)
- University of Kent at Canterbury (B.A. Law) (1984)
- Hong Kong