Jorge Ossio is knowledgeable in corporate law with broad experience in leading work groups on transactions involving the acquisition or sale of private companies, as well as advising the Peruvian State in the privatization processes of public companies. Throughout his career, he has headed virtually every type of complex company restructuring process, including mergers, spin-offs and others.
Jorge has participated in the board of various companies, including banks, insurance companies, telecommunications companies, and others.
Jorge has held positions as the main advisor to the Minister of Transportation and Communications, the Minister of Energy and Mining, and the Minister of Economy and Finance. Jorge was also Secretary-General of the Commission for the Promotion of Private Investment (COPRI), and member of the board and Vice President of the National Supervisory Commission for Companies and Securities (CONASEV). He currently serves as the Superintendent of the Securities Market (SMV).
Jorge focuses his practice on corporate law. He has extensive experience leading teams for highly sophisticated and complex transactions aimed at the purchase or sale of companies in the private and public sectors. He has also advised the Peruvian government on the privatization of several state-owned companies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised the Peruvian government on the sale, within the privatization process of state-owned companies, of the two main electric distribution service companies in the city of Lima. The transaction involved a payment of over USD 400 million to the Peruvian state.
- Advised the Peruvian government on the sale, within the privatization process of State-owned companies, of the most important power generation company in the city of Lima. The transaction involved a payment of over USD 500 million to the Peruvian state, USD 100 million of which were in bonds.
- Advised the Peruvian Government on the granting of the concession of the electric transmission line Mantaro-Socabaya to be built with the purpose of interconnecting the Center-North and South transmission systems. This transaction involved an investment of approximately USD 180 million.
- Advised Spanish Grupo Telefonica on the split-up of an independent company of its global internet business and the listing of shares of the resulting company in different stock markets worldwide. This transaction originated the creation of the company Terra Peru SA in Peru.
- Advised an international pharmaceutical company on the split-up of one of its personal-care product lines.
- Advised the Lenovo Group on the launch of its local operation following the global acquisition of IBM personal computers business.
- Advised an international pharmaceutical company on the sale of its industrial plant in Lima.
- Advised Compañia Cervecera Ambev Peru SAC (subsidiary of Compañia de Bebidas das Americas – Ambev) on the acquisition of 100% of the productive assets of Embotelladora Rivera SA (EMRISA).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Lima Bar Association - Member
- Peru (1981)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica (Law Degree) (1980)