John Mollard is the Firm's Global Head of Mining. He practices in the areas of M&A and direct foreign investment, with a strong focus in the energy, resources and agriculture sectors. John is recognised as a leading M&A lawyer for mining by IFLR1000 2015 and Best Lawyers Natural Resources AFR 2015.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Guangdong Rising Assets Management Ltd on the due diligence, investment approvals and Australian aspects of its acquisition by scheme of arrangement of AIM listed Caledon Resources Plc, and its Mt Cook and Minyango coal assets in Queensland.
- Advised Guangdong Rising Assets Management Ltd in relation to its strategic investment in ASX-listed PanAust Ltd, with copper and gold mining operations in Laos and Thailand.
- Advised Trafigura with respect to its strategic investment, financing and offtake with the dual-listed ASX/TSX-listed Tiger Resources Ltd, with an operating copper mine in the DRC.
- Advised Castlemaine Goldfields on its acquisition of the Ballarat Goldfields Project from Lihr.
- Advised CNMC in relation to its proposed purchase of a majority stake in and financing of ASX-listed rare earths miner Lynas Corporation Limited.
- Advised WISCO in relation to its proposed investment and finance of Riversdale Mining Ltd and the development of the Zambeze Coking Coal Project in Mozambique.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- AMPLA, Resources and Energy Law Association - Victorian Committee
- ACBC - Victorian Branch Committee
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1997)
- Hong Kong (1996)
- Victoria~Australia (1993)
- Nanjing University (Post Graduate Studies Mandarin Chinese) (1993)
- Monash University (Bachelor's Degree Law) (1992)
- Monash University (Bachelor of Economics) (1989)