Rian Matthews is a Local Principal in the Dispute Resolution Practice Group of Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow. He is experienced in representing clients across a range of dispute resolution mechanisms, including mediation, early neutral evaluation / adjudication, international arbitration, commercial litigation and other forms of ADR. He also regularly advises on regulatory, company law and restructuring / insolvency matters.
Rian is currently based in Singapore, but regularly works across the Asia Pacific region. He previously practiced in Melbourne and London. He is a member of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators.
Rian regularly works with clients across a range of sectors, including banking and finance, energy, mining / resources, and construction.
Rian has extensive experience in international arbitration and commercial litigation, as well as cross-border and multijurisdictional disputes. He has advised on matters under the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) and the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) arbitration rules, as well as before the English, Australian, and Singapore Courts.
Representative Legal Matters
Commercial Litigation and International Arbitration and Commercial Litigation
- Represented a leading global OEM company in ICC arbitration proceedings, seated in Singapore, concerning claims arising from the catastrophic failure of geo-thermal electrical plant in the Philippines.
- Represented a leading telecommunications company in Brazil in arbitral proceedings in The Hague under the ICC Rules of Arbitration (value USD650 million).
- Advised a leading global mining company in connection with LCIA arbitral proceedings against the Kurdistan Regional Government.
- Advised a Russian telecommunications company in relation to arbitral proceedings in Singapore under SIAC arbitration rules.
- Advised an oil company regarding a dispute under a joint venture agreement in connection with an LNG development project in Indonesia.
- Represented a Ukrainian investment group in proceedings before the English High Court arising from a breach of a sale and purchase agreement. The proceedings resulted in a significant development to the choice of law rules applicable to equitable constructive trusts under English law.
- Represented a major investment bank in Germany in legal proceedings against a group of companies concerning the latter’s default under a USD200 million facility agreement for the purchase of two jet aircraft. The matter involved litigation in the English High Court and in the French, Cayman Island and Swiss courts, including the obtaining of freezing and delivery-up orders from the English courts and a saisie conservatoire from the French courts.
Insolvency / restructuring
- Advised a FTSE 250 mining and resources company with respect to restructuring of the company’s lending commitments, via a Scheme of Arrangement, and related negotiations with major bond holders.
- Represented the provisional liquidators and liquidators of the UK arm of the Madoff group of companies.
- Represented bankruptcy trustee in Represented the bankruptcy trustees of The Consumers Trust in proceedings in the English High Court against Eurofinace to seek the enforcement of judgments obtained by the trustees from the US Federal Bankruptcy Courts. The precognition and asset recovery proceedings in the English High Court under resulted in a significant clarification of the scope of the Cross Border Insolvency Regulations 2006 (England)) and the scope of extra-territorial jurisdiction of foreign insolvency proceedings.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Singapore Institute of Arbitrators - Member
- London Court of International Arbitration - Member
- Young International Arbitration Group - Member
- British and Australian Chambers of Commerce - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom
- University of Melbourne (LL.M.) (2008)
- University of Melbourne (LL.B. Hons.) (2001)
- University of Melbourne (B.A.) (2001)