Cristina Matiz-Mejia is the director of the Intellectual Property Practice Group in Baker McKenzie S.A.S. and has worked in IP for more than 15 years. She is a member of the Firm’s global Copyright and Sports & Entertainment working groups, and coordinates the Copyright working group in Latin America. She is recognized in Chambers Latin America 2015 and 2016, and in Chambers Global 2015.
She has deepened her knowledge in IP matters through several courses at the World Intellectual Property Organization, the University of Buenos Aires Faculty of Law, the University of Los Andes in Bogotá, the Colombian National Copyright Office and the Berkman Center for Internet & Society, among others.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a food and beverage company in a trademark infringement case.
- Represented a local company in the defense of a case involving copyright and trademark rights protection within an unfair competition action.
- Localization of copyright agreements for a foreign company licensing software in Colombia.
- Represented a local company in negotiating a transaction agreement involving non authorized use of software.
- Represented an important company in the apparel and luxury goods industry in obtaining the final rejection of a mark on the basis of an opposition action grounded in the Inter-American Convention.
- Acted for a technology and electronics equipment company in a case of Internet copyright infringement and obtained the cease on the use of a software by the infringer, thus avoiding litigation.
- Advised a leading clothing and footwear company in recovering a registered brand by a third party in Colombia.
- Represented a multinational software company in negotiating a transaction agreement with an infringing party over the unauthorized use of a source code.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Colombian Center for Copyrights - CECOLDA - Member, Board of Directors
- Association Litteraire Et Artistique International - Member
- Colombia (1995)
- University of Los Andes (Diploma Market and Culture of Digital Content) (2011)
- University of Buenos Aires (Course Copyrights and Neighboring Rights) (2007)
- World Intellectual Property Organization (Diploma Copyrights and Neighboring Rights) (2005)
- Universidad El Bosque (Post Graduate Degree Philosophy of Science) (1999)
- University Externado de Colombia (Post Graduate Degree Business Law) (1997)
- Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario (1994)