Eugene Lim is the head of the Tax, Trade and Wealth Management practice in Singapore and the head of the Firm's Asia Pacific International Commercial & Trade Practice. He has extensive experience relating to the structuring of supply chain and distribution strategies in the Asia Pacific region as well as in international tax and trade matters.
Eugene is recognised by leading legal directories such as The Legal 500 Asia Pacific and International Tax Review, with Chambers Asia Pacific noting that "clients prize the practical nature of Eugene Lim's advice, and particularly appreciate his ability 'to analyse, find solutions and add value - not just as a legal counsel but as a business consultant too'." Who's Who Legal commented that Eugene is the “first port of call” for clients in the trade and customs field."
Eugene's practice focuses on international trade, international tax planning, tax controversies, indirect tax, customs and excise, export controls, trade sanctions matters in Singapore, China and the Asia Pacific region. He also covers trade law developments in the WTO, APEC, ASEAN and under the various free trade agreements in the Asia Pacific region.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised various multinationals on the indirect tax, customs and trade aspects of structuring their global and Asia Pacific supply chain operations.
- Assisted various clients on tax disputes with the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore.
- Advised various multinationals on the use of free trade agreements (FTAs) to obtain preferential market access for their goods and services in the Asia Pacific region.
- Advised various multinationals on export control issues and trade sanctions in the Asia Pacific region.
- Advised various industry groups on the consistency of local laws and standards with international trade laws.
- Advised numerous luxury, fashion and apparel companies on their distribution operations in China.
- Advised numerous multinationals on regulatory, tax and customs issues relating to their contract manufacturing, procurement, distribution and after-sales strategies in China.
- Advised various multinationals on managing disputes with China customs and tax authorities.
- Tax Controversy Leader (Singapore, Hong Kong) – International Tax Review Tax Controversy Leaders Guide (2013 - 2015)
- Indirect Tax Leader (Singapore) – International Tax Review Indirect Tax Leaders Guide (2013 - 2015)
- Leading Lawyer (International Trade: Asia-wide) – Chambers Asia and Chambers Global (2009 - 2016)
- Leading Lawyer (International Trade: China) – Chambers Global and Chambers Asia (2012 - 2015)
- Leading Trade & Customs Lawyer – The International Who’s Who of Trade & Customs Lawyers (2010 - 2014)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Singapore Academy of Law - Member
- Law Society of Singapore - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2009)
- Supreme Court of Singapore~Singapore (1999)
- McGill University, Montreal (LL.M. International & Comparative Law) (2000)
- National University of Singapore (LL.B. Honors) (1998)
- Hong Kong