Eduardo de Cerqueira Leite is Chairman of Baker & McKenzie’s Executive Committee. A partner since 1986 and an accomplished energy, infrastructure projects, and M&A lawyer, Mr. Leite served on Baker & McKenzie’s Executive Committee from 1999 to 2003, and he chaired the Firm’s Policy Committee in 2005.
Prior to being elected Chairman, Mr. Leite was the managing partner of the four offices in Brazil, a position he held for seven years. From 1999 to 2003, he was Chairman of the Latin American Regional Council.
Mr. Leite has spent several years working in Baker & McKenzie’s Chicago and Miami offices since joining the Firm in 1979. He has also led the Firm’s Global Energy, Mining & Infrastructure Industry Group.
Mr. Leite is married and the father of two daughters.
Mr. Leite’s practice focuses on energy issues, mergers and acquisitions, power and renewables, as well as project finance. He has worked on almost all Brazilian privatizations either for the Brazilian government (BNDES) or for private investors. Mr. Leite led the team that successfully privatized Light Serviços de Eletricidade in Rio de Janeiro (representing AES and Reliant), had a role in the Petrobras Barracuda Caratinga Project and was lead counsel for many project finance deals in Brazil. Additionally, Mr. Leite led several major projects in connection with power plants, paper and pulp, as well as significant joint ventures, privatizations and mergers in the energy sector.
- International Business Leaders Advisory Council for the Mayor of Beijing - Member
- World Economic Forum - Member and Co-Chair of the Professional Services Industry Group
- US-Brazil CEO Forum - Member
- Brazilian Bar Association - Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Brasilia and Rio Grande do Sul Chapters
- Sao Paulo~Brazil (1979)
- New York University (M.C.J.) (1980)
- University of Sao Paulo (J.D.) (1978)
- University of Uruguay (1972)
- Inst. Osimani y Llerena (B.A.) (1969)
- Sao Paulo