Vladimir Khvalei heads the Firm’s CIS Dispute Resolution Practice Group in Moscow. Named “Lawyer of the Year” in international arbitration by Best Lawyers 2014, he is highly recommended by various legal directories, including Chambers, Legal 500 and Who’s Who Legal. He serves as vice president of the ICC International Court of Arbitration, and is included in the list of arbitrators of the arbitration institutions in Austria, Belarus, Dubai, Hong Kong, Kazakhstan and Russia. He is also a regular speaker at a number of conferences relating to international trade law and arbitration.
Mr. Khvalei has extensive experience in litigation in Belarus, Kazakhstan, Russia and Ukraine. He also handles international arbitration cases as a party counsel and arbitrator, particularly with respect to the arbitration rules of the ICAC, ICC, SCC and UNCITRAL.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented one of the world’s largest oil companies in complex multi-jurisdictional disputes in Kazakhstan, Netherlands and Sweden in a case involving USD2 billion.
- Represented a Chinese company in numerous disputes in the Moscow Arbitrazh Court related to allotment of land plots for construction.
- Represented a Western oil company in a number of arbitration disputes against a major Russian oil company under various rules.
- Represented a Western air cargo company in aircraft-related disputes against a Russian company and governmental organizations in proceedings in Russian and Ukrainian courts.
- Acted on behalf of a major US privately-owned fund in several real estate disputes in Russia.
- Acted as mediator in a dispute between a major car manufacturer and a major Ukrainian insurance company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Polish Arbitration Association - Member
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb) - Member and Registered Tutor
- Belarusian Chamber of Commerce and Industry - Board of the International Arbitration Court
- Arbitration Commission of the Russian National Committee of ICC - Member
- Austrian Arbitration Association (ArbAUT) - Member
- Russia (1998)
- Belarus (1992)
- Belarusian University Law Faculty (Law Degree) (1992)