Gunduz Karimov is the managing partner of the Baku office of Baker McKenzie and the head of the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the United Arab Emirates. He is also a member of the Dispute Resolution, Intellectual Property and Healthcare practice groups. Before joining the Firm in 2002, Mr. Karimov worked for the Baku Delegation of the International Committee of the Red Cross. A licensed patent attorney, he teaches commercial law and international intellectual property courses at Baku State University since 2000 and acted as Associate Dean of School of Law in 2011-2014. Gunduz Karimov is currently a part-time Associate Professor at the Department of Civil Procedure and Commercial Law of Baku State University.
Gunduz Karimov is a member of the International Chamber of Commerce’s International Court of Arbitration in Paris (ICC Court of Arbitration) from Azerbaijan, effective 1 July 2017.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing various US and European companies in trademark disputes against infringing companies.
- Represented companies on antitrust matters before state authorities.
- Represented various companies in major tax litigation cases.
- Acted for a major local construction company in ICC arbitration proceedings in London, in relation to a hotel construction dispute.
- Appeared before the High Court of Justice in London as expert witness in various cases.
- Conducted compliance and due diligence reviews of local companies.
- Highly regarded, IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate 2018
- Best Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law and Litigation, The Best Lawyers in Azerbaijan Fifth Edition, 2017-2018
- Ranked lawyer, Chambers Asia Pacific 2016-2017
- Leading Lawyer, IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate, 2016-2017
- Leading Lawyer, Legal 500 EMEA 2016-2017
- Leading litigation lawyer in Azerbaijan, Chambers Global 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Trademark Association (INTA) - Member
- Azerbaijan Collegium of Advocates - Member
- Azerbaijan International Arbitration Court - Chairman
- International Chamber of Commerce’s International Court of Arbitration in Paris (ICC Court of Arbitration) – Member
- Dubai - Registered Legal Consultant (2017)
- Russia (2007)
- Azerbaijan (1998)
- ICC International Court of Arbitration (ICC Advanced Arbitration Academy Course) (2013)
- Institute of Law and Philosophy (Ph.D. Intellectual Property Law) (2008)
- Indiana University (LL.M.) (2002)
- Baku State University (LL.M. Honors) (2000)
- Baku State University (LL.B.) (1998)