Maxim Kalinin serves as managing partner of the Firm’s St. Petersburg office and head of the Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate, Real Estate & Construction and Employment practice groups. He was named a European legal expert in Russia by European Legal Experts 2008, and was recognized by Chambers Europe "for his expertise in M&A and real estate work". He is also cited by Legal 500, Who’s Who Legal 2009, The International Who’s Who of Real Estate Lawyers 2008 and the Private Equity Handbook 2007/2008 for his corporate and real estate work.
Mr. Kalinin advises major Russian and foreign companies on the legal aspects of corporate and real estate and construction issues, infrastructure projects, joint ventures, as well as mergers and acquisitions. He is also knowledgeable in corporate reorganizations, as well as on labor issues and trade unions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Orkla ASA on the acquisition of the confectionery group SladCo, Krupskaya Confectionery Factory, and a well-known St. Petersburg-based confectionery plant.
- Advised Premia Tallinna Kulmhoone AS on the acquisition of a major St. Petersburg producer of ice cream and dry ice (Khladokombinat No. 1).
- Assisted Ford Motor Company regarding Russian labor law issues, trade union relationship, representation in collective bargaining negotiations and in courts of different levels.
- Advised A.S. Watson & Co., Ltd. on its acquisition of Spektr Group, a St. Petersburg-based Russian health and beauty retail chain.
- Advised International Paper Svetogorsk Paper Mill in the Leningrad Oblast on corporate, investment, real estate, customs, environmental, forestry, employment, and related legal issues with respect to additional investments into the mill and its operations.
- Participated in the development of the technical-economic basis of reforming the engineering and power network of St. Petersburg.
- Advised Shaghai Overseas United Investment Joint Stock Co, Ltd. in connection with the development of a new city district "The Pearl of the Baltic."
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Baltic Bar Association
- American Chamber of Commerce (Chairman)
- Russia (1993)
- Moscow State Institute of International Relations (Law Degree High Honors) (1993)