Chris Hogan is an English solicitor and a senior counsel in the Banking & Finance Practice Group in Johannesburg and London. He joined in December 2014 to assist in the development of South Africa's capital markets and banking practice. Prior to that, Chris had been a partner in the Firm's London office since 1995.
Chris has extensive experience in acting for borrowers and lenders/underwriters in a broad spectrum of banking and debt capital markets transactions, particularly in developing markets. His work includes straight debt, equity-linked products and structured transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising the Kingdom of Bahrain as issuer of USD 1.5 billion 6.125% bonds due 2022.
- Advising KfW and the Development Bank of South Africa in connection with a USD 81 million loan facility for the Republic of Angola.
- Advising Sibanye Gold in connection with a USD 350 million syndicated revolving credit facility arranged by Bank of America Merrill Lynch and HSBC.
- Advising Radisson Edwardian Hotels in connection with a GBP 218 million (approximately USD 280 million) syndicated property development and refinancing facility arranged by HSBC.
- Advising Ukrainian steel producer Metinvest in connection with its pre-export financing facilities.
- Advising Telecom Italia in connection with a EUR 5 billion syndicated loan facility.
- Advising the financing banks and the agent in relation to a USD 300 million syndicated term loan to Saudi Petrochemicals Company for the revamp of an existing petrochemical plant, the construction of a new petrochemical plant, and the construction of a new electrical power generation facility in Jubail Industrial City, Saudi Arabia.
- Advising Saudi Chevron Petrochemical Company in relation to a USD 300 million syndicated facility.
- Advising Saudi British Bank as issuer in establishing a Medium Term Programme, the first international debt issuance programme established by a Saudi issuer.
- Advising Merrill Lynch and Dresdner Kleinwort as co-lead managers of a USD 600 million bond offering by Ukraine.
- Leading lawyer for debt capital markets, high yield and London: Finance, Legal 500 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Scotland and Wales - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1985)
- University of Aston at Birmingham (B.Sc.) (1981)