Matthew Gemello is a corporate/M&A partner in Baker McKenzie's Palo Alto office and the chair of the Firm's North America Corporate & Securities Practice Group. Mr. Gemello is also chair of the Firm's North America Pro Bono Practice. He has been frequently recognized as a leading lawyer by multiple publications and peer surveys, and was recently selected by the San Francisco and Los Angeles Daily Journal as being one of the Top 10 Innovative Corporate Lawyers in California.
Mr. Gemello guides technology companies and their financial sponsors through transformational corporate transactions. These deals range from private company buyouts and public takeovers in the United States and around the world, to complex multijurisdictional spinoffs and business carve-outs.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a global communications company in multiple domestic and cross-border transactions including public and private acquisitions, dispositions and spin-offs of major business units.
- Advised a global semiconductor company in connection with multiple domestic and cross-border acquisitions.
- Advised a global technology company in connection with multiple domestic and cross-border acquisitions.
- Advised a leading global private equity fund in connection with multiple cross-border acquisitions.
- Advised a global network solutions company in connection with a Dutch-based joint venture with a global telecommunications company.
- Advised a global biotechnology company in connection with multiple cross-border transactions including multi-jurisdictional dispositions and spin-offs of major business units.
- Advised a South American winery in connection with a major brand acquisition in the United States.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company in connection with the disposition of its Asia Pacific business.
- Advised a global renewal products company in connection with an ethanol-based joint venture in Brazil.
- Advised a global electronics manufacturing company in connection with domestic and cross-border acquisitions and divestitures.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Business Law Section
- Keys School - Trustee, Board of Trustees
- State Bar of California - Business Law Section
- San Mateo County Bar Association - Business Law Section
- Youth Law Center - Member, Board of Directors
- California~United States (1997)
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D.) (1997)
- University of California at San Diego (B.A. American History) (1993)
- San Francisco