Larry Finder is a member of the firm’s North America Litigation and Government Enforcement Practice Group. He has extensive experience in government investigations, corporate compliance counseling, federal grand jury, trial practice, internal investigations and business crimes. He became US Attorney for the Southern District of Texas in February 1993, and has been named as one of the Best Lawyers in America from 2006 to 2016, and a Texas Super Lawyer from 2003 to 2016. He has been peer rated as an AV preeminent attorney by Martindale-Hubbell.
Larry has had two atypical and notable litigation successes in the recent past. In the most recent case, he was engaged by a sitting US Circuit Judge who was wrongly accused of committing judicial misconduct in an out of court speech to legal professionals. That matter was transferred to another US Circuit Court for investigation and resolution, culminating in a closed hearing before a panel of federal judges serving in that Circuit. Post-hearing, the complaint of misconduct was dismissed by the Circuit’s Judicial Council, and that decision was recently affirmed by the Committee On Judicial Conduct and Disability of the Judicial Conference of the United States.
In the other matter, Larry was honored by the Federal Bar Association in recognition of his appointment by the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit to investigate and prosecute a US Justice Department complaint filed against a sitting US district judge from New Orleans. He co-prosecuted the case before the Judicial Council of the Fifth Circuit in New Orleans, and the trial record was subsequently referred to the US House of Representatives for impeachment consideration. The House impeached the judge, followed by a trial in the US Senate. The judge was unanimously convicted and removed from office on 8 December 2010.
Mr. Finder's reputation as one of the top attorneys in his field has been bolstered by his oft-cited studies on deferred prosecution agreements and nonprosecution agreements. He has also been recognized as one of the top FCPA lawyers working outside of Washington, DC by prestigious insider news organizations, including Main Justice. In 2011, he was selected as a Top Gun in the Ethisphere Institute's Attorneys Who Matter for his work at "the top of the ethics and compliance world."
Mr. Finder is committed to public service outside of his law practice. He has chaired the Harris County Public Defender Board of Directors, and was also selected for a three-year appointment (from 2009 to 2014) to the Practitioners Advisory Group (PAG), a standing advisory group of the United States Sentencing Commission. He currently holds an appointment on the Board of Trustees for the Harris County Hospital District (he previously served from 1995-2003, and chaired from 1999-2003). He has also served on the board of trustees for Crime Stoppers Houston (2007 to 2009), and on the board of trustees and executive committee for The Council on Alcohol and Drugs Houston (from 2004 to 2006).
Mr. Finder focuses his practice on government civil investigations and US criminal investigations and prosecutions. He is also experienced in white-collar criminal defense, internal corporate investigations, and financial crisis advisory and litigation. He also handles matters relating to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, SEC enforcement, and the False Claims Act/Qui Tam. Mr. Finder also advises on antitrust, environmental crimes, and healthcare fraud and abuse matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Internal investigation for investment firm that was victim of theft of trade secrets.
- Federal trial representing civil plaintiff in landlord-tenant case involving defendant tenant’s failure to maintain leased premises. Plaintiff’s verdict and damages award in excess of USD1 million.
- Internal investigation for national telecommunication company for employee fraud and self-dealing.
- Represented president of oilfield service manufacturing company under federal investigation for fraud; no criminal charges filed.
- Represented principals in worksite investigation; no criminal charges filed.
- Represented CEO of food service company for worksite enforcement violations; no felony charges filed.
- Represented a waste disposal and environmental solutions entity in federal work site enforcement action; no criminal charges filed.
- Represented a non-profit service organization to investigate allegations of improprieties by high level personnel.
- Represented the audit committee of an international oilfield services and equipment company to investigate alleged violations of export control laws and foreign corrupt practices.
- Appointed by the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit to investigate and present a disciplinary case against a sitting United States district judge before the Judicial Council of the Fifth Circuit. That judge was eventually impeached by the House of Representatives and then convicted and removed from office by the US Senate.
- Leading Lawyer in Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations, Texas, Chambers USA, 2017
- Attorneys Who Matter: Top Guns, Ethisphere Institute, 2011-2013
- Top 100 Houston Region Super Lawyers - Criminal Defense-White Collar, Texas Super Lawyers, 2003-2016
- Criminal Defense: White Collar, Texas’ Best Lawyers, 2009, 2012-2018
- International Who's Who Legal: Business Crime Defence, 2015-2017
- International Who’s Who of Investigations Lawyers and Forensic Experts and International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers, 2014-2016
- International Who's Who Legal of Business Crime Lawyers, 2003-2006 and 2011-2016
- Criminal Defense: White Collar, The Best Lawyers in America, 2006-2016
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings – AV Preeminent Rated™ Lawyer Peer Review Rating, 1996-2016
- Best FCPA Lawyers Outside the Beltway, MainJustice.com, 2011
- Award for Exceptional Assistance to Preserve the Integrity of the Judiciary, Federal Bar Association and Judicial Council of the Fifth Circuit, 2011
- Recognized in ICFM Leading Lawyers 500, InterContinental Finance Magazine
- Shortlisted for the Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards 2015 in the category of: Business Crime Firm of the Year - USA
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Criminal Justice Section
- National Association of Former U.S. Attorneys - Member
- Houston Bar Association - Member
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas~United States (1987)
- Colorado Supreme Court (inactive)~United States (1986)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (1985)
- New York~United States (1984)
- Texas~United States (1983)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)~United States (1983)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (1982)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1976)
- Illinois Supreme Court (inactive)~United States (1976)
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D.) (1976)
- Northern Illinois University (B.A. cum laude) (1973)