Kabir Duggal is a senior associate in the Baker McKenzie's International Arbitration Practice Group in New York focusing on international investment arbitration, international commercial arbitration and public international law matters. Kabir's experience includes complex disputes under numerous bilateral/multilateral investment treaties and contracts in South Asia, Latin America, Central Asia, Middle East, Europe and Africa. The total value of the disputes he has been involved in exceeds 80 billion dollars. He has facilitated the mediation and negotiation of complex disputes. He also acts as a Consultant for the United Nations Office of the High Representative for Least Developed Countries, Landlocked Developing Countries and Small Island Developing States (UN-OHRLLS).
Kabir has considerable experience in various aspects of public international law and dispute resolution. He was a consultant at The World Bank Group in Washington, DC, where he worked with the Development Research Group focusing on socioeconomic rights in the developing world, and for UNICEF on issues of child rights and child protection. He has also worked as a judicial clerk for an Indian Supreme Court Judge.
Kabir is a Lecturer-in-Law at the Columbia Law School, teaching "International Investment Law and Arbitration." He has also taught dispute resolution courses in educational institutions all over the world including Georgetown University Law Center, Fordham Law School, The Graduate Institute (Geneva, Switzerland), National Law University (Jodhpur, India), University of Carlos III (Madrid, Spain), National Research University Higher School of Economics (Moscow, Russia), among others.
Kabir has published several articles and books and is regularly invited to speak at conferences globally. He is the managing editor for Columbia Law School’s “The American Review of International Arbitration” and is an editor for investmentclaims.com hosted by Oxford University Press. He also serves on ICSID Review's Peer Review Board and is an associate editor for Brill-Nijhoff publisher's international law and arbitration section. He is a fellow at Columbia Center on Sustainable Development.
Kabir has been awarded the inaugural "Diversity Fellowship" by the American Bar Association, Section of International Law. He also serves on the Chartered Institute of Arbitrator Young Members Steering Committee.
Kabir also sits as an arbitrator and mediator.
Kabir's practice focuses on investor-state arbitration, commercial arbitration, and issues and disputes relating to public international law. He has been involved in some of the largest investment and commercial arbitration disputes such as Mobil et al. v. PDVSA et al., ICC Case No. 15415/JRF, ConocoPhillips et al. v. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, ICSID Case No. ARB/07/30 and Mobil et al. v. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, ICSID Case No. ARB/07/2.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Kabir represented the following states and state entities in the following cases:
- Mobil et al. v. PDVSA et al., ICC Case No. 15415/JRF.
- Devas Multimedia Private Limited v. Antrix Corporation Ltd., ICC Case No. 18051/CYK.
- OPIC Karinum Corp. v. PDVSA et al., ICC Case No. 17544/JRF.
- Mobil et al. v. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, ICSID Case No. ARB/07/2.
- ConocoPhillips et al. v. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, ICSID Case No. ARB/07/30.
- Brandes v. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, ICSID CASE NO. ARB/08/3.
- CEMEX et al. v. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, ICSID Case No. ARB/08/15.
- Vodafone International Holdings BV v. Republic of India, UNCITRAL Arbitration.
- Tenoch Holdings Ltd. et al. (ByCell Dispute) v. Republic of India, UNCITRAL Arbitration.
- CC/Devas (Mauritius) Ltd., Devas Employees Mauritius Private Ltd., and Telcom Devas Mauritius Limited v. Republic of India, UNCITRAL Arbitration.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Deputy Liaison Office
- Asian American Bar Association - Member
- Brill-Nijhoff Publishers, International Investment Law and Arbitration - Associate Editor
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
- Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment - Fellow
- Columbia Law School - Lecturer
- Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR) - Panel of Distinguished Neutrals
- Government Law College - Advisory Board, Dispute Resolution Cell
- Hong Kong 45 - Regional Ambassador for Hong Kong
- Indian National Bar Association, New York Chapter - Executive Committee Member
- International Arbitration, ABA - Projects Vice-Chair
- International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) - Peer Review Board, ICSID Review
- International Courts and Judicial Affairs, American Bar Association, Section of International Law -Co-Chair
- Oxford University Press, Investment Claims - Global Advisory Board
- The Indian Society of International Law - Lifetime Member
- Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration - Buddy
- Private International Law Interest Group, American Society of International Law (ASIL) - Co-Chair
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2011)
- New York~United States (2010)
- Maharashtra and Goa (2004)
- New York University School of Law (LL.M. International Legal Studies, Hauser Global Scholar and Transitional Justice Fellow) (2008)
- Oxford University (Bachelor of Civil Law (Master's Degree in Law) DHL-Times of India Scholar, Oxford-Cambridge Society of India Scholar) (2007)
- NALSAR (Post Graduate Diploma International Humanitarian Law, Gold Medal) (2006)
- University of Mumbai (Post Graduate Diploma Human Rights, Gold Medal) (2005)
- Government Law College (LL.B. University Medal; Ranganath Rao Trophy; 5 University Awards) (2004)