Fernando de la Mata co-heads Baker McKenzie’s EMEA Restructuring & Insolvency Practice Group, as well as the Dispute Resolution and Restructuring practice groups in the Barcelona office. He is recommended by Chambers Global, Chambers Europe, Legal 500 and Best Lawyers. In Chambers Global 2016, clients cited his proactive and practical approach to preparing and handling litigation.
Fernando taught at various universities for seven years before actively practicing law in 1999. He joined Baker McKenzie in 2006 and has been an associate professor of international private law at ESADE Law School since 2001. He has written articles and publications, and is a regular conference speaker. He recently assisted in the drafting of the UNIDROIT Transnational Principles of Civil Procedure.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a Spanish Stock Exchange-listed real estate company in a petition for massive seizure of assets in the context of pre-insolvency.
- Represented a state-owned investor in the context of a multimillion euro claim against the auditors of one of their Spanish-listed subsidiaries.
- Advised a leading international hotel chain in the context of an insolvent winding-down of their European business and the management of hotels in the UK, France, the Netherlands, Monaco, Italy and Spain.
- Represented one of Germany’s leading trust managers and receivables management service providers in a cross-border dispute related to the termination of a joint venture agreement and related financing agreements.
- Represented a Middle East state investment authority in the largest and most important criminal case in Barcelona High Court history.
- Represented a Spanish co-shareholder in its ICC arbitration dispute with a US-owned CRO involving the liquidation of their Spanish joint venture.
- Represented an internationally known architectural studio in a contractual dispute with a CIS local developer in arbitration before the SCC.
- Advised former owners of a Spanish business in connection with a multimillion post-M&A claim against the acquirer which resulted in an ICC arbitration.
- Advised a Spanish manufacturer on an ICC claim against a German manufacturer of industrial equipment for the defective performance of a turnkey construction agreement.
- Advised a German listed company and its affiliates on claims arising from the purchase of a group of companies, in which the contracts signed with the public sector gave rise to regulatory compliance issues.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Barcelona Bar Association
- Association of Professors of International Law and International Relations (Asociación de Profesores de Derecho Internacional y Relaciones Internacionales)
- Association of International Legal Studies (Asociación de Estudios Jurídicos Internacionales)
- International Lawyers' Union (Union International des Avocats)
- Provided pro bono advice to the Sant Joan de Deu Charitable Organization.
- Advised on the agreement to establish the Liceu Barcelona Opera House US Foundation.
- Barcelona~Spain (1993)
- University of Barcelona (Diploma Research Proficiency) (1993)
- University of Liège (Master Commercial and European Law) (1992)
- University of Barcelona (Law Degree) (1991)