Maria Chedid regularly serves as lead counsel in international commercial and investor-state arbitrations. She also represents clients in US courts in cases involving a variety of multijurisdictional and cross-border litigation issues, including actions seeking judicial enforcement of arbitration agreements and awards.
Named one of California's Top 100 Women Lawyers in 2014, Ms. Chedid has been recognized by clients and peers alike for her expertise and capabilities: Chambers USA 2016 ("Maria Chedid attracts praise for her expert advocacy in arbitrations: 'She was very impressive during hearings - her choice of words was perfect and she was very convincing."); Chambers USA/Chambers Global Guide 2015 ("Sources emphasize the quality of her written and oral presentation, with one peer remarking that she is 'superbly prepared and relentless."); Chambers USA 2017 ("Interviewees commend her handling of complex disputes and describe her client relationship skills as 'outstanding.'"); Chambers USA 2010 ("Maria Chedid . . . is praised for her 'highly effective advocacy and dedication to the needs of the client.' She is particularly noted for her capabilities in IP disputes."); Chambers USA 2016 ("She appears as lead counsel in an impressive range of commercial and investor-state proceedings."); Chambers USA 2017 (Her practice "includ[es] a notable focus on disputes involving Asian parties and technological concerns."); Law360 2016 ("Chedid is well-versed in international arbitration, very thorough and largely unflappable…she has developed deep expertise in damages issues - which is not every practitioner's favorite subject, but a key component of most international arbitration cases."); Chambers USA/Chambers Global Guide 2015 ("Maria Chedid has particular expertise in Middle Eastern disputes, in addition to handling matters involving Asian and Latin American parties."); GAR 2015 ("Maria is an exceptionally capable attorney.").
A member of Baker McKenzie's North America Steering Committee for International Arbitration, Ms. Chedid chairs the firm's arbitration practice on the US West Coast. She holds various executive and advisory board positions in international law and arbitration, including serving as the current president of the Northern California International Arbitration Club. She has spoken about international dispute resolution at conferences and law schools worldwide, including UC Berkeley School of Law, Stanford Law School, Columbia Law School, and the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine Law School, where she has taught as an adjunct professor.
Representative Legal Matters
- Counsel to a Turkish powership company in multi-billion dollar investor-state claims against the government of Pakistan (ICSID).
- Counsel to a Japanese company and a US company in claims arising out of a buy-sell agreement (ICDR).
- Counsel to a Canadian designer and manufacturer of environmental treatment systems in breach of contract dispute with US parties (ICC).
- Counsel to a German engineering and equipment manufacturer in breach of contract and intellectual property claims against a California solar panel producer (ICC).
- Counsel to the Republic of Korea in a multi-billion dollar investor-state dispute involving bank regulation and tax matters (ICSID).
- Counsel to a US company in relation to a distribution contract with a Korean distributor (ICDR)
- Counsel to a US biometrics company in a licensing and IP ownership dispute with an affiliated Korean company (ICDR).
- Counsel to a Korean ATM manufacturer in a breach of contract and intellectual property dispute with a California distributor (ICDR).
- Counsel to US company in post-award proceedings with a Mexican company under a dealer agreement (AAA).
- Counsel to a US company in relation to distribution contract with Yemeni entity (UNCITRAL/DIFC-LCIA).
- Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for International Arbitration, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2011, 2010
- Chambers Global Guide: International Arbitration, 2017, 2016
- California’s Top 100 Women Lawyers of 2014, Daily Journal
- "The Tech List," Silicon Valley Arbitration & Mediation Center’s List of the World’s Leading Technology Neutrals, 2017, 2016, 2015
- Northern California Superlawyers, Top Rated International Lawyer, 2017, 2016
- Top Woman Attorneys In Northern California, 2017
- Legal Media Group Expert Guides, Women in Business Law, 2017, 2016
- Legal Media Group Expert Guides, Commercial Arbitration, 2017, 2016
- Legal 500: International Arbitration, 2017, 2015
- Euromoney Legal Media, Rising Star in International Commercial Arbitration, 2014, 2013
- Top Appellate Practices in California,” The Recorder, 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- California State Bar Association - International Law Section - Executive Committee
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre - Member of Regional/National Committee for the United States
- Northern California International Arbitration Club - President
- Institute for Transnational Arbitration - Advisory Board
- USC Gould School of Law ADR Program - Advisory Board
- California~United States (1997)
- New York~United States (1994)
- New York University (J.D.)
- Barnard College (B.A.)