Leng Sun heads the Dispute Resolution practice in Baker McKenzie.Wong & Leow. He is Baker McKenzie’s Global Head of International Arbitration. He is qualified in Malaysia, Singapore and England. Leng Sun was appointed Senior Counsel, Singapore's equivalent to the Queen's Counsel, in January 2011.
Apart from being counsel, Leng Sun is a Chartered Arbitrator and is on the panel of leading arbitral institutions. He is a Chairperson of the arbitration panel jointly appointed by the EU and Korea under the protocol on cultural cooperation of the Korea-EU FTA. He is the President of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators (SIArb). He serves as the Deputy President of the Maintenance of Parents Tribunal. He is on the Advisory Panel of the Singapore Maritime Foundation. He is a member of the Committee on the Singapore International Commercial Court.
Leng Sun has taught at the law schools of the National University of Singapore and the Singapore Management University. He was a legal officer of the United Nations Compensation Commission in Geneva and a SIAC-CIAC Observer to the UNCITRAL Working Group on Arbitration. He has published widely in international journals and is the author of the book Singapore Law on Arbitral Awards and co-editor of Conflict of Laws in Arbitration.
Leng Sun has most recently been recognized among the top litigation lawyers worldwide by the 'Who's Who Legal Litigation 2016' and is described by Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017 as "one of the best arbitrators and practitioners in arbitration."
Leng Sun is familiar with all methods of dispute resolution, including litigation, arbitration and mediation. In addition to years of experience in maritime-related work, he has a broad commercial practice that covers international trade, insurance and company law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented sellers of a Japanese company against Korean buyers in an ICC arbitration over a post-acquisition dispute with claims and counterclaims amounting to USD43.5 million.
- Represented an international software payment solutions provider in an arbitration against an electronic payments service provider for wrongful termination of a multimillion dollar project to migrate their existing payments platform.
- Successfully set aside an injunction against a client's calls on Refund Guarantees issued in connection with a rig construction, clearing the way for payment of close to EUR100 million for the client. Succeeded in the related arbitration on the merits.
- Represented an employer in a dispute valued at close to EUR300 million between contractor and employer in the supply of technology and equipment for a manufacturing plant.
- Represented a manager in a dispute arising from an oil rig management contract.
- Represented several companies in an action against a director for breach of fiduciary duties and for control of company assets estimated at several hundred million US dollars.
- Represented underwriters in court in connection with claims for business interruption losses caused in multiple jurisdictions by the 2004 tsunami.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Singapore Maritime Foundation - Advisory Panel
- Singapore Institute of Legal Education - Professional Fellow
- Singapore Disciplinary Tribunal - President
- Singapore Maintenance of Parents Tribunal - Deputy President
- Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration (SCIA) - Panel Arbitrator
- Singapore Chamber of Maritime Arbitrator - Panel Arbitrator
- Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration - Panel Arbitrator
- Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators - Fellow
- China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission - Panel Arbitrator
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution - Panel Arbitrator
- China Maritime Arbitration Commission - Panel Arbitrator
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre - Panel Arbitrator
- Singapore Institute of Arbitrators - Chairman, SIArb Education Committee
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb) - Chartered Arbitrator
- Korean - EU - FTA - Chairman of Arbitration Panel
- Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB) - Panel Arbitrator
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC) - Panel Arbitrator
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1997)
- Singapore (1993)
- Malaysia (1989)
- Cambridge University (LL.M.)
- University of Malaya (LL.B. First Class Honors)