Chris Burkett has extensive experience in litigation, disputes, internal investigations and regulatory compliance, and has appeared before a variety of tribunals, all levels of trial court, and the Court of Appeal for Ontario. He has worked in the Firm's London office and conducted internal investigations of anti-corruption and human rights compliance issues for multinational corporations and their subsidiaries across many international jurisdictions. Chris also appears regularly on local and national tv news broadcasts as a legal analyst.
Prior to joining the Firm, Chris was a Crown Attorney and acted as lead prosecutor in numerous trials. His experience extends to matters involving administrative tribunals, judicial review applications, injunctions, trials, appeals and sensitive internal investigations.
Chris has a broad trial advocacy and investigations practice, with a specific focus on employment, regulatory, civil, fraud and criminal law matters.
Chris also provides strategic advice to domestic and international private and public sector corporations on employment and labour law as well as regulatory compliance, particularly in the area of anti-corruption and labour/human rights standards and norms.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted as counsel to a Canadian food company in a successful injunction application against a former employee who departed with confidential product information.
- Acted as counsel to a global pharmaceutical company in an internal investigation and media crisis response strategy relating to alleged employee misconduct.
- Acted as counsel to a corporation with standing at an Ontario Coroner’s Jury Inquest.
- Acted as pro bono counsel to Covenant House residents who were victims of trafficking.
- Acted as counsel to a global financial services company in conducting an internal investigation and civil/criminal proceedings for recovery of a multimillion-dollar fraud matter.
- Acted as counsel to a Canada-headquartered global food company in its anti-corruption compliance program review and enhancement.
- Represented an affiliate of a global technology conglomerate in a third-party review under Canada’s Integrity Regime.
- Represented a global sports management company in a UK investigation competition law investigation. Acted for an international bank in an international investigation relating to trader misconduct.
- Represented a Canadian health sciences corporation under investigation for violations of Canada’s Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act.
- Represented a global employer in a motion seeking a stay or dismissal on jurisdictional grounds of a claim for wrongful dismissal and gender discrimination. in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.
- Robert E. Deignan Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Contribution, 2014
- Baker McKenzie Scholar 2013
- Baker McKenzie Pro Bono Service Award, 2012
- Ontario Volunteer Service Award for commitment and dedicated service to a non-profit group, 2007
- Albert Allmark award for leadership, dedication, and excellence in athletic and academic endeavours, Queen's University, 2003
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Upper Canada - Member
- Ontario Bar Association - Member
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- The Advocates' Society - Member
- Transparency International, Canada - Legal Committee Member
- Ontario~Canada (2007)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LL.M.) (2014)
- University of Windsor Law School (LL.B.) (2006)
- Queen's University (B.A. History) (2003)