José María Alonso has been the managing partner of Baker McKenzie in Madrid since 1 July 2013. He is also the head of the Litigation and Arbitration Department in Madrid, a member of the Global Arbitration Practice Group steering committee and the European Disputes Practice Group, and a member of the steering committee for Spain-LATAM. He has been ranked in Band 1 by Chambers Europe and Chambers Global from 2007 to 2013. Mr. Alonso joined Baker McKenzie in 2012. Prior to this, he was head of the litigation and arbitration department of J&A Garrigues from 1982 to 2000, managing partner of that firm from June 2000 to September 2009, and coordinator of the international arbitration area and in charge of international relations from September 2009 to December 2012.
Mr. Alonso focuses his practice on litigation relating to the civil and commercial law aspects of contracts and agreements, corporate disputes, disputes over agreements and transactions of a financial and insurance nature, international contracts and foreign investments and insolvencies. In the area of sports law, he focuses on disputes relating to commercial image rights agreements of sportspersons, employment contracts between sportspersons and clubs, agreements for the permanent and temporary transfer of player registrations between football clubs, audiovisual rights agreements, and sponsorship agreements. As an arbitrator, he has acted in more than 150 proceedings in Spain and internationally.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Construcciones San Martin before the Spanish courts, requesting against Acciona Inmobiliaria a land purchase agreement to be declared null and void and subsequently terminated.
- Acted for Hi Hoteles to request against Occidental Hoteles the termination and review of the provisions of a number of hotel establishment lease agreements.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Royal Academy of Jurisprudence and Legislation - Corresponding Member since 2015
- CPR European Advisory Committee - Member
- Civil and Commercial Court of Arbitration (CIMA) - Arbitrator
- Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce, Paris (ICC) - Arbitrator
- Court of Arbitration for Sport (TAS/CAS) - Arbitrator
- International Chamber of Commerce of Paris - Arbitration Court
- Spanish Court of Arbitration - Arbitrator
- Madrid Chamber of Commerce & Industry - Arbitration Court
- International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) - Arbitrator
- Professional Association of the Judiciary - Legal Defense Department
- Shanghai Court of International Arbitration (SHIAC) - Panel Arbitrator
- Universidad de San Ignacio de Loyola, Lima (Peru) - Honorary Professor
- Circulo de Empresarios - Legal Defense Department
- International Center for Dispute Resolution/American Arbitration Association - Arbitrator
- Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration - Panel Member
- Spanish Arbitration Club (CEA) - Honorary Chairman
- Universidad de Lima (Peru) - Honorary Professor
- China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission - Panel of Arbitrators
- American Arbitration Association - Member of the Panel of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Services
- International Chamber of Commerce - Latinamerican Group, Court of Arbitration and Panel of Alternative Dispute Resolution Services
- International Law Association - Vice President
- Madrid Bar Association - Second member of the Governing Board
- Inter-American Commercial Arbitration Commission - Arbitrator
- London Court of International Arbitration - Arbitrator
- Madrid~Spain (1978)
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid (1978)
- Práctica Juridica Business School (1978)