ICU Medical Acquires Hospira Infusion Systems in Latin America
Baker McKenzie advised medical equipment manufacturer ICU Medical Inc., a California-based company, on the acquisition of the Hospira Infusion Systems (HIS) business from Pfizer Inc. in Argentina, Colombia, Mexico and Peru. The transaction closed in these four countries on July 31, 2017. Baker McKenzie also provided regulatory, labor & employment and proposed deal structure support across the entire Latin American region.
This transaction led by Baker McKenzie in Latin America is part of a larger global deal valued at approximately USD 900 million.
The HIS product portfolio includes IV pumps, solutions and medical devices. The global deal positions ICU Medical as one of the world's leading pure-play infusion therapy companies.
“This acquisition enhances ICU’s global footprint and we are proud to have played a part in the deal,” said David Malliband, Chicago-based Corporate & Securities partner. “For us the deal exemplifies our Firm’s global and local capabilities in corporate M&A, healthcare, cross-border deals, regulatory, labor and tax.”
“Given the complexities of the medical devices industry, this transaction required expertise in multiple practices,” said Marcos Basso, Houston-based International Commercial partner. “With our international reach and healthcare sector knowledge, we were able to advise on a complex and challenging transaction.”
Baker McKenzie's Global M&A practice is consistently recognized as one of the most active among law firms by all three major league table organizations. The Firm does more cross-border deals than any other law firm in the world and is 1st by cross-border volume globally for pharmaceuticals, healthcare equipment and supplies deals per Thomson Reuters.
The Baker McKenzie cross-border team for this transaction included:
• David Malliband, lead partner in Chicago
• Marcos Basso, co-lead partner in Houston
• Darcy Down, co-lead partner in Chicago
• Michael Hamilton, partner in Houston
• Brook Granger, associate in Houston
• Katie Dugat, associate in Houston
• Martin Quintanar, partner in Buenos Aires
• Geraldine Mirelman, associate in Buenos Aires
• Belen Bastone, associate in Buenos Aires
• Felipe Graham, associate in Buenos Aires
• Tatiana Garces, partner in Bogota
• Clare Montgomery, associate in Bogota
• Natalia Villalba, associate in Bogota
• Lina Tellez, associate in Bogota
• Veronica Pelaez, associate in Bogota
• Alejandro Perez-Serrano, partner in Mexico City
• Christian Lopez, partner in Mexico City
• Jorge Ledesma, associate in Mexico City
• Omar Cornejo, associate in Mexico City
• Oscar Trelles, partner in Lima
• Alvaro Gutierrez, partner in Lima
• Jaime Mayorga, associate in Lima
• Cristina de la Piedra, associate in Lima
• Milagros Paredes, associate in Lima