Baker & McKenzie Reinforces Position in Latin America
- 20 top tier rankings in Chambers Latin America 2017
- 22 top tier rankings in Legal 500, the most of any global law firm
Baker & McKenzie continues to consolidate its position as the leading global law firm in Latin America, with a combined 42 top tier rankings in the two leading legal directories.
Our unwavering commitment to our clients has been once again recognized by prestigious organizations such as Chambers & Partners and Legal 500, which consistently acknowledge our firm's leading position across Latin America,
said Claudia Prado, Baker & McKenzie's Chair of the Latin American Region. "We are delighted to receive these accolades, particularly given the importance of client engagement in the research process."
During the year, the Firm has successfully acted in important matters such as
- Advising on the business impact of the Lava Jato operation in Brazil**
- Counselling Azteca Comunicaciones Peru on the issuance of public bonds to finance a national fiber-optic project
- Representing one of the leading Colombian broadcasters in a domain name complaint before the World Intellectual Property Organization
- Counselling Audley Capital Advisors on the purchase of a stake in Anglo American Norte in Chile
- Advising Grupo Bimbo on negotiations with the union in Venezuela
- Representing The Gillette Company on an unfair competition action against one of its registered trademarks in Colombia
- Counselling Toyota Financial Services Venezuela in the issuance and public placement of bonds.
At Chambers, the following practices have been recognized as top tier in their countries:
Practice areas in Band 1 in Chambers every year since rankings began are: Banking & Finance in Peru and Venezuela, Intellectual Property in Colombia, International Trade/WTO in Mexico, Projects in Peru, and Tax in Venezuela, all of them ranked as Band 1 since 2009; Public Law in Peru since 2013; Compliance & Fraud Investigations LA-wide and International Trade/WTO in Peru, both since 2015; and General Business Law: Monterrey since 2016.
In Peru, Baker & McKenzie is the leading international law firm in the market with 8 tier one rankings at Chambers.
Legal 500 recommended 22 practice areas from Baker & McKenzie Latin America as top tier in their countries.
Legal 500 has consistently ranked some Baker & McKenzie's practice groups in Latin America as Band 1 since 2012, when the ranking was originally created: Banking & Finance in Venezuela, Competition & Antitrust in Colombia, Corporate M&A in Venezuela, Energy & Natural Resources: Mining in Chile, Intellectual Property in Colombia, Environment in Mexico and Venezuela, International Trade/ WTO in Mexico, Labour & Employment in Mexico and Venezuela, Projects and Public Law in Peru, and Real Estate and Tax in Venezuela.
** In cooperation agreement with Trench, Rossi & Watanabe Advogados