Telecommunications Regulatory Update - October 2016
ACCC consultation on wholesale mobile roaming regulation
The ACCC has released a discussion paper as part of its inquiry into whether to declare a wholesale domestic mobile roaming service to enable mobile service providers to provide coverage for customers in areas where they do not have their own network.
The discussion paper seeks comments on:
- the current state of competition for mobile services and barriers to extending mobile networks in regional Australia;
- the effect a declaration may have upon competition;
- investment in mobile networks since the last declaration inquiry;
- how a declaration may affect incentives for mobile network operators to invest in and improve their networks; and
- the importance of geographic coverage for consumers and mobile service providers’ ability to compete.
Submissions are sought by 25 November 2016.
Serious Data Breach Notification Bill
On 19 October 2016 the Privacy Amendment (Notifiable Data Breaches) Bill 2016 was introduced into Parliament. The draft Bill is currently before the House of Representatives and the second reading speech has been moved. If passed, the new law will require agencies, organisations and certain other entities that are regulated by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) to notify serious data breaches to the Australian Information Commissioner and affected individuals.
A copy of the draft Bill and explanatory memorandum is available here.
Please click here for our previous alert on the draft Bill.
ACCC continue regulating wholesale ADSL
The ACCC has released its draft decision to continue regulating wholesale ADSL for a further five years until 13 February 2022. The ACCC considers that this will promote the long-term interests of telco customers through a more competitive market.
Submissions on the draft report are sought by 14 November 2016.
ACMA consultation on spectrum auction
The ACMA has released a consultation paper on its proposal to auction 700 MHz spectrum that remained unsold after the digital dividend auction in 2013. The proposed auction process is scheduled to occur in the second quarter of 2017.
The ACMA is seeking submissions on:
- the proposed timeline;
- the draft allocation and technical instruments; and
- the proposed early access arrangements.
Submissions are sought by 17 November 2016.
ACMA five year outlook on spectrum
ACMA has released its five year outlook on spectrum management priorities and issues, including its plans to address technological developments such as 5G and the Internet of Things.
Submissions on the outlook are sought by 20 January 2017.
Please click here for further information.