Sonia Baldia is a partner in Baker McKenzie's North American International Commercial Practice in Washington, DC. She brings more than 17 years of global sourcing, technology and intellectual property experience, with an emphasis on India. Ms. Baldia has been recognized as a leading Information Technology and Sourcing lawyer by Legal 500 US and Chambers USA.
Ms. Baldia was previously a partner at other law firms in Washington, DC, and an associate professor of law. She also was a consultant to the US Agency for International Development and the US Department of Commerce, advising foreign governments on IT, telecom and IP-related development projects. She has been a visiting scholar to the Max Planck Institute on innovation in Munich, Germany, Cambridge University in England, and the Research Center for Advanced Science and Technology in Tokyo, Japan.
Ms. Baldia is a dual qualified lawyer with bar admissions in the US and India, and is a registered patent attorney in both the US and India.
Ms. Baldia's global sourcing practice covers IT and business processes such as finance and accounting, HR, telecom, product engineering, R&D, application development and maintenance, procurement, and logistics, and global service delivery models. Her technology and commercial transactions practice covers software, IT and cloud-based offerings, strategic acquisitions of business units/technology platforms, licensing, supply chain arrangements, electronic and mobile commerce, and data security and information governance matters. She assists clients with all phases of the transaction lifecycle, ranging from strategic planning and RFPs to structuring and negotiating complex arrangements, including advising on service performance, governance, pricing strategies, and compliance issues.
Ms. Baldia’s US-India practice focuses on inbound and outbound foreign investment, joint ventures, strategic acquisitions, technology transfer, IP protection, market entry strategy and general advisory work.
Ms. Baldia also has extensive experience with IP transactional and advisory matters in the US and internationally, including IP planning, patent sales, licensing/revenue share, monetization, portfolio management, and IP diligence in corporate transactions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Association of Outsourcing Professional
- Licensing Executives Society (LES)
- American Bar Association
- International Technology Law Association (ITechLaw)
- Northern Virginia Technology Council
- U.S. India Business Council
- District of Columbia~United States (2007)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office~United States (2002)
- New York~United States (2000)
- Indian Patent and Trademark Office (1997)
- Delhi Bar Council (1992)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit~United States
- George Washington University Law School (S.J.D. Intellectual Property Law) (1998)
- University of Georgia (Master of Laws LL.M. International Business and Trade Law) (1992)
- University of Delhi (Bachelor of Laws) (1991)
- Punjabi University (B.S. Chemistry) (1987)