Marisa Martin is an associate in the firm’s Global Environment & Climate Change Practice. Based in Chicago, she advises multinational companies on federal and state climate change law and policy initiatives in the US and internationally and helps clients create carbon strategies.
Ms. Martin advises clients on carbon transactions and domestic and international carbon regulation with a focus on California climate policy. She helps companies develop carbon strategies and advises clients on various carbon transactions in the voluntary and compliance carbon markets.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised clients with various aspects of the California cap-and-trade program, including assisting with submissions to the California Air Resources Board.
- Advised project developers, offtakers and financial institutions regarding the participation in the California carbon market, including conversion of CRTs to CCOs and invalidation risk.
- Prepared template and bespoke Emission Reduction Purchase Agreements for project developers developing ozone depleting substances destruction projects, forestry projects and digester projects and other parties participating in the California carbon market.
- Represented a major transportation company on federal and state climate initiatives in the US.
- Counseled project developers on Clean Development Mechanism projects under the Kyoto Protocol and in the voluntary carbon market.
- Advised a state government and an electricity generator on state and federal carbon capture and storage legislation and carbon market opportunities.
- Counseled biofuel generators and offtakers regarding the Renewable Fuel Standard.
- Represented financial institutions and other market intermediaries on carbon transactions in the secondary carbon market.
- Counseled a variety of clients on the implications of US federal and state carbon policy.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- California State Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
Illinois~United States (2007)
California~United States (2004)
L'Institut Universitaire de Hautes Études Internationales
(Certificate International Relations)
University of Michigan Law School
University of Michigan
(Master of Science)
(B.A. magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.