Catlin A. Urban is a seasoned tax professional with extensive Tax Court trial experience. Currently a director in the Firm’s Chicago office, Ms. Urban is among an elite group of non-attorney tax practitioners in the US admitted to practice in the US Tax Court on an equal footing with attorneys. She graduated from the University of Illinois with a Bachelor of Science in Accountancy in 1993 and received a Master of Science in Taxation from the University of Illinois in 1995.
Ms. Urban conducts factual development, financial analysis and witness preparation in complicated tax controversies. She also assists Baker & McKenzie’s senior tax litigators in developing controversy strategies and negotiating with the IRS at the administrative level and in docketed matters. Additionally, Ms. Urban manages litigation support for many of the federal tax controversies handled by the Firm’s North America Tax Practice Group.
Representative Legal Matters
- First Data Corp. v. Commissioner, T.C. No. 7042-09 (Petition filed Mar. 20, 2009).
- VERITAS Software Corp. v. Commissioner, T.C. No. 12075-06 (post-trial briefs filed Nov. 2008).
- Dorothy R. Diebold, Transferee v. Commissioner, T.C. No. 24675-07.
- Framatome Connectors USA, Inc. v. Commissioner, 118 T.C. 32 (2006).
- Compaq Computer Corp. v. Commissioner, 277 F.3d 778 (5th Cir. 2001), rev'g, 113 T.C. 214 (1999).
- Compaq Computer Corp. v. Commissioner, 78 T.C.M. (CCH) 20 (1999).
- Conner Peripherals, Inc. v. Commissioner, U.S. Tax Ct., Dkt. No. 4322-95.
U.S. Tax Court~United States (2001)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.