Andrés Ochoa-Bünsow has been a partner in Baker & McKenzie since 1986 and is currently the national managing partner of the Mexico offices. He is the former chairman of the Global Policy Committee of Baker & McKenzie International and is former chairman of the Firm’s Global Financial Committee and the Latin America Regional Council. He was also a member of the Global Executive Committee where he served under Christine Lagarde, currently the managing director of the International Monetary Fund. With over 30 years of experience, Mr. Ochoa-Bünsow has been recognized as one of the country’s leading corporate transactional lawyers, and is highly rated in publications such as Chambers Latin America. He actively participates in organizations, including the Mexican Bar Association, the American Bar Association and was recently designated Chairman of the American Chamber of Commerce of Mexico, Monterrey Chapter. Mr. Ochoa-Bünsow is admitted to the practice of law throughout Mexico and in the State of New York, USA.
Mr. Ochoa-Bünsow is proficient in the areas of corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, insolvency and bankruptcy, corporate governance and compliance, and administrative law by working with companies such as British American Tobacco, Vitro, Grupo Omnilife, Alliance Boots and Caterpillar for more than 30 years. He is also seasoned in private equity, securities and general commercial law matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted as lead counsel in the approval of a dual program for the issuance of short and long term revolving certificates for up to Ps$5,000,000,000 or its equivalent in UDIS, USD or other currencies by Caterpillar Crédito, SA de CV, SOFOM, E.N.R. with the guarantee of Caterpillar Financial Services Corporation.
- Acted as lead Mexican counsel for the USD1.7 billion acquisition by British American Tobacco plc of 100 percent of the stock of Cigarrera La Moderna SA de CV, now British American Tobacco Mexico SA de CV — until then the largest acquisition by a foreign investor in Mexico’s history.
- Currently acting for a major global company as its head counsel in a multijurisdiction acquisition of a major participation in a publicly traded company with subsidiaries in several Latin American jurisdictions.
- Acted as lead Mexican counsel in Bemis’ acquisition of the Alcan business of Rio Tinto in 2009 and 2010.
- Acted as the lead counsel for Latin America in the legal and financial reorganization of a global consumer finance company in several Latin American jurisdictions.
- Acted as the lead Mexican counsel for Royal Bank of Scotland in its syndicated USD300 million loan to Prudential Real Estate Mexico.
- Acted as lead Mexican counsel for Tyson Foods Inc., in its multimillion dollar acquisition over several years of 100 percent of the stock of Trasgo SA de CV, now Tyson de Mexico SA de CV.
- Represented HYLSA Mexico SA de CV, then a subsidiary of Grupo Industrial Alfa SA de CV, in its USD400 million acquisition through privatization of SIDOR, Venezuela’s largest steel maker.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- ANADE - Member
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- American Chamber of Commerce of Mexico A.P. - Member
- Barra Mexicana, Colegio de Abogados - Member
- Columbia Law School Alumni Association - Member
- Desarrollo Industrial Monterrey A.C. - Chairman
New York~United States (1986)
Columbia Law School
Escuela Libre de Derecho
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.