Winston Zee is currently a member of the Firm’s Global Executive Committee and Chairman of the Asia Pacific Regional Council. From 2000 to 2007, he served as co-head of the Firm’s China practice, and from 2003 to 2008, he also served on the Management Committee of the Firm’s Hong Kong/China offices. During his time in the committee, the Firm received the China Client Choice Award from International Law Office Awards, and was ranked top law firm for China and Hong Kong by the PLC Which lawyer? directory.
From 2008 to 2010, Mr. Zee led the development of a Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Industry Group in the Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong offices, to target market opportunities created by the ambitious healthcare reform program launched by the PRC Government.
Mr. Zee has significant experience in foreign country law and he counsels foreign investors on a wide range of legal matters and transactions involving the PRC. He handles foreign exchange issues, tax planning, the establishment of investment and operational structures, as well as mergers and acquisitions. Mr. Zee also works with clients on sales and distribution arrangements, technology transfer and real estate transactions. He authored and co-authored a number of key publications on his areas of practice, including the China Tax Guide, as well as the China Forex Handbook.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a US pharmaceutical and healthcare company on the post-acquisition integration of businesses and assets in China.
- Advised a major Hong Kong financial company on its joint venture to form a new futures brokerage entity under the Closer Economic Partnership Arrangement. This is subject to regulatory approvals from China Securities Regulatory Commission and other relevant bodies.
- Advised a major European company on a USD2.7 billion greenfield development of a petrochemical plant in Shanghai.
- Advised a US company on a USD250 million acquisition of a controlling interest in a consumer product company in China.
- Advised a major Hong Kong company on the acquisition and greenfield development of a very large piece of land in Southern China.
- Advised a major European company on a large-scale infrastructure joint venture in Southern China.
- Advised a major US investment bank on the restructuring of debt instruments issued by a PRC government-owned financial institution.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- American Bar Association
U.S. Supreme Court~United States (1984)
U.S. Tax Court~United States (1982)
U.S. Court of International Trade~United States (1982)
District of Columbia~United States (1981)
Pacific Lutheran University
Pacific Lutheran University
Baker & McKenzie, a Hong Kong partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.