Mohamad Talaat is a widely recognized figure in his area of practice. He is consistently ranked as a leading lawyer in Corporate/M&A by Chambers Global and is referred to in the publication’s 2012 edition as an "'extremely experienced lawyer who really knows the law inside-out.'" He serves on the Firm’s Securities, Mergers & Acquisitions, Venture Capital and Insurance practice groups, and is the liaison partner of the Cairo office. Prior to joining the Firm, he held the post of counselor at the Egyptian Council of State in Cairo.
Mr. Talaat concentrates on matters regarding securities and capital markets, corporate, anti-trust, arbitration, commercial, tax, labor, administrative and Islamic law, and project finance. His transactional work focuses on initial public offerings, private placements, mergers and acquisitions and major projects. He regularly acts as the lead lawyer in deals he is involved in. Mr. Talaat has experience advising leading real estate and finance companies execute large, cross-border transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted as legal counsel for Orasqualia (OCI / Aqualia) on the public-private partnership (PPP) of the waste water treatment plant in Cairo, along with the direct agreement and loan facility, on the first PPP project that has been executed.
- Advised a leading real estate entity conduct an initial public offering and offshore/onshore private placement.
- Advised Pfizer, Astra Zeneca, Lundbeck, Roche Diagnostics, Novo Nordisk, Eli Lilly and Body Shop with their operations in Egypt.
- Acted for a leading real estate and hospitality group conduct an initial public offering worth USD1 billion.
- Acted for Egyptian Company for Mobile Services (ECMS) in the acquisition of Link Dot Net and Link Egypt.
- Acted for The International Company for Security and Services (Falcon Group) S.A.E., a leading security entity, in connection with extending legal advice related to the sale of cash-in-transit business of the company.
- Acted for Amer Group Holding Company S.A.E., a leading real estate entity, as issuers counsel in connection with its initial public offering and offshore/onshore private placement.
- Acted for Juhayna Food Industries, a leading food industry entity, as issuers counsel in connection with its initial public offering and offshore/onshore private placement.
- Acted for Barwa New Cairo for Real Estate Investment SAE in connection with extending legal advice related to the development of real estate in New Cairo.
- Acted for Egyptian leading cement producers on the price fixing allegation before the courts in the first cartel case in Egypt after the issuance of the Egyptian antitrust law in 2005. As a result of this case, the Egyptian antitrust law changed, including raising the fine to EGP20 million instead of EGP10 million.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Egyptian Bar Association
- American Bar Association - Associated Member
- The Egyptian Association of International Law
- The Egyptian Association of Economical and Political Studies
Chicago-Kent College of Law (IIT)
Helmy Hamza & Partners is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.