Kerry Weinger represents and advises management and employers — ranging from Fortune 50 companies to mid- and small-sized multinational companies — in the area of international personal tax, compensation and benefits and employment law. He is a member of the Worldwide ERC Global Advisory Counsel, International Fiscal Association, SHRM Global Forum, Bar and Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Associations, as well as other professional organizations.
Mr. Weinger advises multinational employers on tax, social security, employee benefits, compensation, employment law and other legal issues concerning the cross-border transfer of executives. He has lectured extensively before professional organizations around the world and written several articles on international employment law, tax, payroll and compensation and benefits issues. He has authored chapters in “The BNA International Human Resources Guide” as well as numerous articles for “The Journal of Corporation Taxation” and other professional publications. In addition, he authored a book entitled, “US Employees Abroad.”
Representative Legal Matters
- Structuring and drafting international employment and termination agreements as well as related documents such as secondment and service agreements and transfer of employment agreements.
- Performing global legal and regulatory employment compliance audits with a focus on the client’s multijurisdictional employment activities and assisting with the implementation of global codes of conduct and equity plans.
- Assisting clients with global reductions in force by advising on each jurisdiction’s notice, severance and other applicable requirements with a view to reducing employer costs and burdens on staff associated with the reduction.
- Developing substantial international asignee tax reimbursement savings for clients through creative and innovative worldwide tax minimization strategies.
- Creating international assignment manuals, assignee handbooks and related accounting and payroll procedures, as well as conducting legal reviews of same to reduce employer legal risk exposure.
- Developing and implementing tax planning strategies and structures for high net worth individuals with respect to their international investments, businesses and estate planning.
- Representing clients before income tax and social security authorities.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Illinois CPA Society
- International Fiscal Association
- Worldwide ERC - Global Advisory Council
- SHRM Global Forum
- OneWorld International Benefits Group
Illinois~United States (1979)
John Marshall Law School
Loyola University Chicago School of Law
University of Illinois
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.