Kengo Nishigaki joined Baker & McKenzie in 2000. From 2004 to 2005, he worked at the Firm’s Chicago office where he assisted a major manufacturer of defense-related products in matters involving compliance with the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), and in a case related to an international joint venture. Mr. Nishigaki serves as a lecturer in various seminars, including those related to fraud investigations and the US FCPA. He is admitted to practice in Japan and New York.
Mr. Nishigaki’s practice focuses on international litigation, fraud investigations for Japanese and foreign listed companies, US FCPA compliance, and compliance of pharmaceutical companies and medical device makers. In addition, he advises on negotiations with authorities regarding issues such as leakage of personal information and product recalls. Mr. Nishigaki also assists major Japanese and foreign-listed companies in international corporate acquisitions, business partnerships and the establishment of joint venture companies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Conducted fraud investigations as a member of an independent committee of a Japan-listed company.
- Conducted fraud investigations and represented a major IT-related company in a lawsuit.
- Conducted investigations on fraudulent information leakage and represented client in a lawsuit.
- Negotiated with authorities on issues related to fraudulent information leakage.
- Negotiated with authorities for a major cellphone manufacturer on issues related to a product recall.
- Conducted collective bargaining associated with a major financial institution’s withdrawal from Japan.
- Represented a major financial institution in a lawsuit with respect to the issuance of bonds.
- Established a joint venture in relation to the management of ANA hotels by the InterContinental Hotels Group (utilizing a joint venture company under the new Companies Act).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Japan Federation of Bar Associations
- Tokyo Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
New York~United States (2005)
New York University School of Law
University of Tokyo
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.