Betsy Stelle Morgan’s work has been published extensively in US and international publications. She is ranked as a leading lawyer in Who’s Who in American Women and Who’s Who in the World and has been listed in Chambers Global. She is the founder and co-editor of Baker & McKenzie’s Global Immigration & Mobility Update, which currently boasts a quarterly circulation of approximately 16,000, and is also a co-author of the Firm’s US Business Immigration Manual. Ms. Morgan is a member of the Chicago Management Committee with responsibility for the office's external profile, and has oversight responsibility for the office’s Marketing & Business Development, Social Responsibility, Pro Bono, Diversity and Alumni Relations Programs.
Ms. Morgan is a founding member of Baker & McKenzie’s Global Immigration & Mobility Group and is head of the Chicago practice. Ms. Morgan joined Baker & McKenzie in 1988. Her practice is concentrated in the area of corporate, employment-based immigration law. She represents US and multinational companies engaged in the global transfer of personnel.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised multinational manufacturing company in transferring teams of engineers from India and Belgium for limited duration training programs, to facilitate development of operations abroad.
- Counseled a major US transportation and logistics services provider on the development of a Corporate "Best Practices" Program in I-9 Compliance and Verification.
- Designed and executed corporate strategy of major multinational Fortune 50 company in pursuing 85 PERMs for groups of individuals in several professions successfully in a short time frame.
- Orchestrated, in concert with the firm's cross-border employment, benefits and tax team, the transfer of employees into and out of the United States and from one third country to another, dealing specifically with related comparative law issues.
- Oversaw the immigration due diligence analysis and related risk factors and supervised the hands-on review of documents for an off-shore company's acquisition of US companies. The matter required working collaboratively with the firm's corporate, tax and employment due diligence efforts.
- Since 2002, responsible for designing and managing the firm's pro bono teaming efforts with in-house counsel of major multinational commercial clients, including Caterpillar, to provide representation and counseling to low -income applications for naturalization and completing the process of obtaining US citizenship.
- Supervised the related employment work for a major pharmaceutical company in addressing contemporaneous RIFs of employees in 10+ jurisdictions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Law Practice Management Section
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- National Foreign Trade Council - International Human Resource Management Section
- Society for Human Resource Management
- Human Resource Management Association of Chicago
- Illinois State Bar Association
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1989)
Illinois Supreme Court~United States (1989)
Illinois~United States (1989)
John Marshall Law School
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.