Tom Cassels practices general commercial litigation and has particular experience in the areas of administrative and regulatory law. Top-ranked in leading legal directories — including Chambers UK — Tom advises clients on competition litigation and other contentious legal matters involved in media and sports. Drawing from his considerable experience working with clients’ internal and external public relations advisers, he also advises on legal aspects of crisis and reputation management. Tom has rendered pro-bono work for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees and Save the Children.
Tom handles commercial and regulatory disputes, judicial review and competition litigation. He also advises clients on legal aspects of reputation management including handling internal investigations as well as public inquiries and select committee hearings, protecting commercial confidentiality, privilege and freedom of information issues.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acts for Formula 1 race team McLaren Mercedes in high profile disciplinary and sporting regulatory proceedings.
- Advises BBC Trust on all aspects of its competition and regulatory functions including launches of iPlayer and Freesat and defending the challenge to its decision not to air the DEC appeal for Gaza.
- Advises mobile telephone operator 3 on various aspects of its regulated business.
- Advised Camelot on the competition for the award of the new license to operate the National Lottery.
- Acted for British Olympic Association in its successful defense of sprinter Dwain Chambers’ challenge to its selection criteria.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales - Defamation Reference Group
- Administrative Law Bar Association of England and Wales
England & Wales~United Kingdom (1994)
(Master of Arts)
City University of London
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.