Tom Cassels practices general commercial litigation and has particular experience in the areas of administrative and regulatory law. Top-ranked in leading legal directories — including Chambers UK — Tom advises clients on competition litigation and other contentious legal matters involved in media and sports. Drawing from his considerable experience working with clients’ internal and external public relations advisers, he also advises on legal aspects of crisis and reputation management. Tom has rendered pro-bono work for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees and Save the Children.
Tom handles commercial and regulatory disputes, judicial review and competition litigation. He also advises clients on legal aspects of reputation management including handling internal investigations as well as public inquiries and select committee hearings, protecting commercial confidentiality, privilege and freedom of information issues.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advises BBC Trust on all aspects of its competition and regulatory functions including launches of iPlayer and Freesat and defending challenges to its decisions not to air the DEC appeal for Gaza and to allow the BNP to participate in Question Time. Currently advising on Savile and Hall inquiries.
- Acted for Shell in high-value follow-on litigation arising from Paraffin Wax infringement decision.
- Acted for Formula 1 race team McLaren Mercedes in high profile disciplinary and sporting regulatory proceedings.
- Advising mobile telephone operator Three on various aspects of its regulated business including a number of appeals to the CAT, judicial review and proceedings before the Court of Appeal.
- Acted for British Olympic Association in its successful defence of sprinter Dwain Chambers’s challenge to its selection criteria and subsequent arbitration with WADA in the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
- Advised household names on select committee appearances.
- Advised Camelot on the competition for the award of the new license to operate the National Lottery.
- Represents a major corporate in contentious negotiations with a world famous sports brand.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales - Defamation Reference Group
- Administrative Law Bar Association of England and Wales
England & Wales~United Kingdom (1994)
(Master of Arts)
City University of London
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.