Robert ("Bob") Tarun has tried over 50 federal criminal and civil jury trials across the United States. Mr. Tarun is a Fellow and former Regent of the American College of Trial Lawyers, a designation reserved for the most outstanding lawyers in the United States. He has been cited by leading legal directories at home and around the world, and is listed in, among other professional directories, The Best Lawyers in America: Commercial Litigation and White Collar Criminal Defense
, The International Who’s Who of Business Crime Lawyers, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers
and Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Litigation Lawyers and Who's Who Legal: Investigations.
Mr. Tarun has 30 years of experience representing individuals, corporations, partnerships and pension funds across the United States in grand jury investigations and trials involving antitrust, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), mail and wire fraud, and embezzlement and environmental crimes. He also represents clients in export and import violations, government procurement fraud, healthcare fraud, labor violations, public corruption and smuggling. Mr. Tarun also represents clients facing securities fraud — insider trading, options backdating and revenue recognition — and tax fraud charges, including offshore tax evasion.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented swisspartners Investment Network, AG, a Swiss asset management firm, in obtaining a non-prosecution agreement in connection with its assistance of U.S. taxpayers in maintaining undeclared foreign bank accounts (U.S.D.C., S.D.N.Y. 2014).
- Obtained a DOJ declination for a Gibraltar financial institution in connection with its alleged assistance of U.S. taxpayers in maintaining undeclared foreign bank accounts (2014).
- Appointed first criminal antitrust monitor in U.S. history United States v. AU Optronics (U.S.D.C. N.D. CA 2012).
- Represented numerous Silicon Valley audit committees and public companies in internal investigations involving FCPA, revenue recognition and cartel issues.
- Obtained a declination from the SEC for a global health company in relation to a whistleblower's claim of improper payments in Hong Kong and India.
- Represented companies and professionals in SEC investigations, particularly in FCPA, revenue recognition and options backdating.
- Defending the former chairman of the board of a large coupon processing company in conspiracy and mail fraud charges United States v. Bruce A. Furr (U.S.D.C., E.D. WI).
- Defending the chairman of the board of a Chicago area metal stamping company in a federal tax prosecution (U.S.D.C., N.D. IL).
U.S. Supreme Court~United States (1978)
California~United States (1975)
Illinois~United States (1974)
DePaul University College of Law
University of Chicago
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.