Robert ("Bob") Tarun has tried over 50 federal criminal and civil jury trials across the United States. Mr. Tarun is a Fellow and former Regent of the American College of Trial Lawyers, a designation reserved for the most outstanding lawyers in the United States. He has been cited by leading legal directories at home and around the world, and is listed in, among other professional directories, The Best Lawyers in America: Commercial Litigation and White Collar Criminal Defense
, The International Who’s Who of Business Crime Lawyers, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers
and Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Litigation Lawyers and Who's Who Legal: Investigations.
Mr. Tarun has 30 years of experience representing individuals, corporations, partnerships and pension funds across the United States in grand jury investigations and trials involving antitrust, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), mail and wire fraud, and embezzlement and environmental crimes. He also represents clients in export and import violations, government procurement fraud, healthcare fraud, labor violations, public corruption and smuggling. Mr. Tarun also represents clients facing securities fraud — insider trading, options backdating and revenue recognition — and tax fraud charges, including offshore tax evasion.
Representative Legal Matters
- Obtained eighteen months probation sentence for the former chairman of the board of a large Indiana-based coupon processing company charged with a USD250 million conspiracy and mail fraud charges United States v. BF (USDC, SD IN 2015).
- Obtained probation and 300 hours of community service sentence for the president of a Chicago area metal stamping company charged with a six year USD2.4 million tax fraud United States v. MW (USDC, ND IL 2015).
- Represented an executive of Diamond Foods of Stockton, California in an SEC securities fraud investigation (USDC, NDCa 2015).
- Represented swisspartners Investment Network, AG, a Zurich-based asset management firm, in obtaining a non-prosecution agreement in connection with its assistance of US taxpayers in maintaining undeclared foreign bank accounts (USDC, SDNY 2014).
- Obtained a DOJ declination for a Gibraltar financial institution in connection with its alleged assistance of US taxpayers in maintaining undeclared foreign bank accounts (2014).
- Obtained a declination from the SEC for a Silicon Valley global health company in relation to a whistleblower's claim of improper payments in Hong Kong and India (2014).
- Appointed first criminal antitrust corporate monitor in US history United States v. AU Optronics (USDC ND CA 2012).
- Represented numerous Silicon Valley audit committees and public companies in internal investigations involving FCPA, revenue recognition, cartel issues, and whistleblower allegations.
- Counseling Fortune 500 companies on merger and acquisition anti-corruption risks and conducting due diligence.
- Represented companies and professionals in DOJ and SEC investigations, particularly in fraud, FCPA, revenue recognition and options backdating.
U.S. Supreme Court~United States (1978)
California~United States (1975)
Illinois~United States (1974)
DePaul University College of Law
University of Chicago
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.