Robert Tarun has tried over 50 federal criminal and civil jury trials across the United States. From 1976 to 1985 he served as a federal prosecutor in Chicago where he concentrated on business crimes. He was a supervisor for seven of his 10 years in the United States Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Illinois — initially as a Deputy Chief of the Criminal Receiving and Appellate Division and finally as the Executive Assistant US Attorney. He received the Department of Justice’s Director’s Award for Superior Performance as an Assistant US Attorney.
Mr. Tarun served as a lecturer in law at the University of Chicago Law School from 2000 to 2005 where he taught white collar criminal practice and business litigation. He previously taught white collar criminal practice at Northwestern University School of Law.
Since entering private practice in 1985, Mr. Tarun has represented individuals, corporations, partnerships and pension funds across the US in grand jury investigations and trials involving antitrust, bank fraud, embezzlement, environmental crimes, export and import violations, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) anti-bribery and accounting provisions, government procurement fraud, health care fraud, labor violations, mail and wire fraud, public corruption, securities fraud, smuggling, and tax fraud. He has handled sensitive investigations involving, among others, FCPA and antitrust issues in over 55 countries.
Mr. Tarun has conducted dozens of corporate internal investigations for corporations, audit committees, boards of directors, and special committees involving the banking, commodities, IT, manufacturing, health care, insurance, nuclear, oil and gas, telecommunications, tobacco, transportation and utility industries, among others. He regularly counsels multinational boards of directors and corporations on compliance and governance issues.
In commercial litigation Mr. Tarun has represented accounting firms, corporations, directors and officers, law firms, medical corporations, partnerships and trustees in breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, malpractice, negligence, Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act, securities fraud and other business tort claims.
Representative Legal Matters
- Obtained an internal controls FCPA resolution and a civil money penalty of USD375,000 with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and a declination from the Department of Justice (DOJ) for a global health science company whose employee engaged a Russian agent and approved bribes to foreign officials. In the Matter of Nordion (Canada), Inc., Securities Exchange Act Release No. 77290 (March 3, 2016).
- Obtained an 18-month probation sentence for the former chairman of the board of a large Indiana-based coupon processing company charged with a USD250 million conspiracy and mail fraud. States v. B.F. (S.D.Ind. 2015).
- Obtained a three-year probation and 300 hours of community service sentence for the president of a Chicago area metal stamping company charged with a six-year USD2.4 million tax fraud. United States v. M.W. (N.D.Ill. 2015).
- Represented an executive of Diamond Foods of Stockton, California in an SEC securities fraud investigation (N.D.Cal. 2015).
- Represented swisspartners Investment Network, AG, a Zurich-based asset management firm, in obtaining a DOJ non-prosecution agreement in connection with its assistance of US taxpayers in opening and maintaining undeclared foreign bank accounts (S.D.N.Y. 2014).
- Obtained a DOJ declination for a Gibraltar financial institution in connection with its alleged assistance of US taxpayers in opening and maintaining undeclared foreign bank accounts (2014).
- Obtained a declination from the SEC for a Silicon Valley global health company in relation to a whistleblower's claim of improper payments in Hong Kong and India (2014).
- Appointed the first criminal antitrust corporate monitor in US history. United States v. AU Optronics (N.D.Cal. 2012).
- Represented numerous Silicon Valley audit committees and public companies in internal investigations involving FCPA, revenue recognition, cartel issues and whistleblower allegations.
- Represented companies and individuals in DOJ and SEC investigations, particularly addressing fraud, FCPA, revenue recognition and options backdating.
- The Best Lawyers in America: Commercial Litigation and White Collar Criminal Defense - California and Illinois
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers
- Ethisphere Institute Top Gun - list of fifteen national leading white collar criminal attorneys who assist corporations in handling compliance issues
- Euromoney Guide to the World’s Leading Litigation Lawyers
- Euromoney Guide to the World’s Leading White Collar Crime Lawyers
- ExpertGuides’ Competition and Antitrust Expert
- ExpertGuides’ White Collar Criminal Defense Expert
- Illinois Leading Lawyers: Commercial Litigation
- Illinois Leading Lawyers: White Collar Criminal Defense
- The International Who’s Who of Business Crime Lawyers
- Top FCPA Lawyers Outside the Beltway
- Top 100 Lawyers in Illinois (Statewide Peer Survey)
- Who’s Who Legal - California: Business Crimes
- Who’s Who Legal - Illinois Leading Business Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American College of Trial Lawyers - Fellow (1992)
- American College of Trial Lawyers - Member, Board of Regents (2003-2008)
- American College of Trial Lawyers - Chair, Federal Criminal Preocedure Committee (2003-2005)
- Wong Sun Society of San Francisco - Founder (1992)
- Chicago Inn of Court - Master of the Bench
- Edward J. McFetridge American Inn of Court (San Francisco) - Master of the Bench
Corporate Social Responsibility
- Brady v. Maryland Working Group for the Blue Ribbon Panel on Transparency, Accountability and Fairness in Law Enforcement (San Francisco)
U.S. Supreme Court~United States (1978)
California~United States (1975)
Illinois~United States (1974)
University of Chicago Graduate School of Business
DePaul University College of Law
University of Chicago Graduate School of Business
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.