Rick Saines heads the North America Climate Change and Environmental Markets Practice. He is widely published and globally recognized as a leading climate change lawyer, bringing over a decade of experience on climate change law matters advising multinational companies, financial institutions, funds and project sponsors on carbon and environmental market transactions within the international, regional and voluntary markets. Mr. Saines also advises major global corporations on climate change policy, sustainable development and global corporate greenhouse gas compliance and management. He is recognized by Chambers USA and Chambers Global as a leading climate change lawyer and serves on the Board of the International Emissions Trading Association and the World Economic Forum's Global Agenda Council for Climate Change.
Mr. Saines routinely advises on leading carbon market transactions, both within the US and across multiple jurisdictions throughout the world, including Mexico, Brazil, Ecuador, Peru, Madagascar, Indonesia, Malaysia, Nigeria, Kenya, and China. He has considerable experience in the areas of forestry and terrestrial carbon, and the laws and policies concerning carbon capture and storage. He is a co-founder of Avoided Deforestation Partners.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a major global transport company in connection with RIN values and renewable fuels mandates under US EPA's Final Rule on the 2012 Renewable Fuel Standards.
- Represented a major offtaker in connection with biofuels supply and financing agreements, including in connection with the ownership and rights to the related environmental attributes.
- Advised CA-based client in connection with the legal implications of the vacature of California's Low Carbon Fuel Standard on Dormant Commerce Clause grounds.
- Represented a leading US portfolio of carbon offsets from CCUS projects in a strategic alliance, marketing, offtake and equity investment with a major global investment bank.
- Represented state government regarding carbon capture and storage legislation.
- Represented various project developers and investors regarding REDD+ projects in Kenya, Madagascar, Cambodia, Brazil, Ecuador and Peru.
- Drafted and negotiated ERPAs and advised on legal aspects of CERs, ERUs and VERs in various jurisdictions for agriculture derived GHG ER aggregator.
- Drafted and negotiated VERPAs for US emission reduction projects on behalf of various buyers.
- Advised on the formation and capital raising for a USD100 million fund to invest in eco-products in the US.
- Represented various multinational corporations regarding their global climate strategies.
- Leading lawyer in Climate Change, Chambers USA, 2010-2011
- Leading lawyer in Climate Change, Chambers Global, 2009-2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Emissions Trading Association - Board Member
- Carbon Markets & Investors Association - Member
- American Bar Association - Renewable Energy Resources Subcommittee Former Co-Chair
- American Council on Renewable Energy - Member
- Chicago Bar Association - Environmental Committee Former Chair
- Illinois State Bar Association - Member
- Emissions Marketing Association - Member
- World Economic Forum - Climate Change Council - Member
Illinois~United States (1996)
Chicago-Kent College of Law (IIT)
Miami University (Ohio)
(B.S. cum laude)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.