Paul Davis belongs to the Major Projects Practice Group. He has been a lawyer for over 30 years, half of which have been spent in Japan and half in Australia. Mr. Davis has significant experience in the areas of oil and gas, natural resources, power, infrastructure and other major projects.
Mr. Davis regularly represents Japanese trading, manufacturing and utility companies in their overseas investments — particularly in the areas of energy, mining, power and climate change — as well as in acquiring commodities from such projects. He has also been involved in a number of M&A transactions and has a broad range of dispute resolution experience.
Representative Legal Matters
- Involved in over 30 coal, oil, gas, copper, lead, chrome and mineral sands projects in various countries, many of them project financed.
- Advised on upstream and mid-stream oil and gas and LNG projects in the Middle East, Mexico, Venezuela and Sakhalin, as well as Pluto, Gorgon and QCLNG projects in Australia.
- Advised on regulatory issues, documentation and tax aspects relating to commodities and commodity derivative transactions.
- Assisted equity investors and EPC, O&M and consultant contractors concerning overseas power, port and oil refinery projects.
- Advised on over 40 coal, uranium, oil and LNG supply agreements, including arbitration and litigation of disputes.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Australian Mining and Petroleum Lawyers Association - Member
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN) - Member
- Australia & New Zealand Chamber of Commerce in Japan - Member of Finance Committee
High Court of Australia~Australia (2008)
Hong Kong (1987)
England & Wales~United Kingdom (1978)
New South Wales~Australia (1977)
New Zealand (1967)
University of Canterbury, NZ
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.