Paul Davis belongs to the Major Projects Practice Group. He has been a lawyer for over 30 years, half of which have been spent in Japan and half in Australia. Mr. Davis practices in the areas of oil and gas, natural resources, power, and disputes.
Mr. Davis regularly represents Japanese trading, manufacturing and utility companies in their overseas investments — particularly in the areas of energy, mining and power — as well as in acquiring commodities from such projects. He has also been involved in a number of M&A transactions and has a broad range of dispute resolution experience.
Representative Legal Matters
- Involved in over 40 coal and mining projects in various countries, many of them project financed.
- Advised on upstream and mid-stream oil and gas and LNG projects in the Middle East, Mexico, Venezuela and Sakhalin, as well as Pluto, Gorgon and QCLNG projects in Australia.
- Advised on regulatory issues, documentation and tax aspects relating to commodities and commodity derivative transactions.
- Advised on over 50 coal, uranium, oil and LNG supply agreements.
- Acted as counsel in ICC, UNCITRAL, JCAA and LCIA project and sales arbitrations.
Mr. Davis has been listed as a leader in his field in Euromoney’s Expert Guides for Energy and Natural Resource, The International Who’s Who of International Oil and Gas Lawyers, Global Counsel 3000, Asia Pacific Legal 500, Chambers Asia and Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2012. He was a winner of ALB’s Energy Deal of Year Award in 2012.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN) - Member
- University of Hitotsubashi - Adjunct Professor
- Australian Mining and Petroleum Law Association - Member
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb) - Fellow (retired)
- University of Sydney - Lecturer
High Court of Australia~Australia (2008)
Hong Kong (1987)
England & Wales~United Kingdom (1978)
New South Wales~Australia (1977)
New Zealand (1967)
Foreign Registered Lawyer (jaikokuho jimu bengoshk) (1996-2012)
University of Canterbury, NZ
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.