Open source code is popping up everywhere. Many misconceptions exist and intellectual property and market opportunities might be put at risk if you do not have an appropriate strategy towards open source. We can advise you on the use and licensing of open source code, particularly in the following scenarios:
- The transactional context: Problems arising in outsourcing, mergers, acquisitions, restructurings etc.
- The use context: Technology companies using open source code offered by others.
- The 'change of business model' context: Software companies moving towards offering their own software as 'open source code' due to market demands or considerations.
Our thorough understanding of open source licenses, technologies and industry trends means that we can review your existing policies and work with you to craft robust processes and policies for the usage of open source code such as:
- Policy on open source code usage
- Process description on how IT managers, developers, etc. must obtain approval from legal departments for particular open source usage
- Summary charts on compliance requirements under existing source licenses to assist in-house counsel in the approval process
- Counsel on particular problem situations e.g., how a certain code may be or may not be deployed and the repercussions under a particular license agreement