Nancy M. Thevenin is special counsel and global coordinator for Baker & McKenzie’s International Arbitration Practice Group. Ms. Thevenin advises on arbitration institutions, ad hoc cases, use of pre-arbitral referee procedures, dispute boards and expertise proceedings. Her experience includes handling arbitrations under the auspices of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and the International Centre for Dispute Resolution of the American Arbitration Association, mediations and advising on early resolution of matters which would otherwise become formal disputes.
Before joining Baker & McKenzie, Ms. Thevenin served as deputy director of arbitration and ADR for North America for the ICC International Court of Arbitration in New York. She is a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and an adjunct professor of International Commercial Arbitration at St. John's School of Law.
Ms. Thevenin has fluent knowledge in the areas of international commercial litigation, international arbitration, creditor’s rights and business torts. She assists multinational companies and governments efficiently resolve international commercial disputes before courts and arbitral tribunals. Ms. Thevenin has handled disputes in various industries — including construction and engineering, financial services, commercial real estate and aviation — often involving issues concerning mergers and acquisition, sales, distribution, licensing, technology transfer and leasing agreements.
Ms. Thevenin frequently speaks on different aspects of international dispute resolution at seminars and conferences worldwide, and has been a guest lecturer at Cornell Law School, Fordham Law School, the University of Miami School of Law and the American University Washington College of Law, among others. She has also designed and conducted training in international arbitration and mediation. As part of a joint effort with the Public International Law & Policy Group for the United Republic of Tanzania’s Commission for Human Rights and Good Governance, Ms. Thevenin recently conducted a two-day mediator training workshop for over 40 officers in Dar es Salaam.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing Eastern European governments in arbitrations concerning claims under bilateral and multilateral investment treaties.
- Representation of multinational corporations, financial institutions and government entities involved in significant litigation and arbitrations in North America and Latin America.
- Representation of financial institutions in recovering assets and funds domestically and internationally.
- Representation of financial institutions in litigation involving negotiable instruments, bank deposits and collections, and letters of credit.
- Representation of international fashion houses in trademark infringement disputes involving extensive interaction with US Customs Service and US Attorney’s Office.
- Representation of multinational and international companies in commercial disputes involving sales, secured transactions, business torts, agreements for the purchase of real property, construction contracts, and commercial landlord/tenant disputes in federal and state court.
- Representation of creditors in prejudgment proceedings, including obtaining writs of replevin, attachment and garnishment.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association - International Section Secretary, present
- New York State Bar Association - International Section Executive Committee Member, 2008-present
- New York State Bar Association - International Arbitration and ADR Committee of the International Section Co-Chair, 2006-present
- New York State Bar Association - Annual Meeting for the International Section Program Co-Chair, 2010
- New York State Bar Association - Dispute Resolution Section Member, 2004-present
- American Bar Association - International Human Rights Award Subcommittee of the International Litigation Section Co-Chair, 2012
- American Bar Association - International Law Section Latin American and Caribbean Committee Vice-Chair, 2006-2008
- Inter-American Bar Association - Vice-Chair of Committee XVIII for International Arbitration Law, 2003-present
- Inter-American Bar Association - New York Chapter Chair, 2009-2010
- International Law Association - American Branch Executive Committee Member, 2008-present
- International Law Association - American Branch International Law Weekend Co-Chair, 2007
- International Law Association - American Branch International Law Weekend Steering Committee Member, 2004 and 2006
- Florida Bar - Member, 1997-present
- Florida Bar - International Law Section Executive Council Member, 2004-2009
- Florida Bar - International Law Section Administration, International Litigation & Arbitration Committee Vice-Chair, 2001-2004
- USCIB - Arbitration Committee Member, 2004-present
- International Chamber of Commerce - Commission on Arbitration US Member, 2004-2008
- Arbitral Women - Founding Member, 2007-present
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum - Member, 2008-present
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Fellow, 2012-present
New York~United States (2012)
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida~United States (2001)
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida~United States (1998)
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit~United States (1998)
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida~United States (1998)
Florida~United States (1997)
Tulane Law School
University of Paris II (Pantheon-Assas)
Institute of European Studies
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.