Michelle Y. L. Gon graduated from National Taiwan University with an LL.B., from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign with an MC.L., and from Case Western Reserve University with a J.D. She was admitted to practice law in the State of Illinois in 1986. She was selected as one of the top 30 attorneys in China and one of the top 100 attorneys in the Asia Pacific region by Asian Legal Business. She was also listed by Chambers Asia Pacific as a leading lawyer in life sciences in China.
Ms. Gon’s practice mainly covers China corporate, investment, regulatory and compliance from the perspectives of anti-bribery and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). As a former chief legal officer of a large NYSE- and HKSE-listed high tech company headquartered in China, and formerly an international counsel of a large multinational corporation, she has extensive experience in various practice areas. She is familiar with a wide spectrum of industries. With her long term solid experience in doing business in China, she provides practical advice to clients on the complicated legal matters they encounter within and outside the country.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a US NYSE-listed company to conduct FCPA due diligence task in connection with its acquisition of another US listed Medical Device Company headquartered in China.
- Represented a US NASDAQ-listed company in the manufacturing field to conduct an internal investigation of the regional team located in Shanghai and sales team spreading over several major cities in China on China compliance and FCPA issues.
- Represented a US NYSE-listed company in the manufacturing field to conduct an internal investigation — shortly after the merger of a Chinese company — on a few key employees in Guangdong Province to ensure their trade practices meet compliance.
- Conducted an internal investigation and interview of several employees of a local subsidiary located in Shandong province of a US NYSE-listed company in pharmaceutical field on anti-bribery and FCPA compliance matters.
- Conducted an interview of several key employees in Guangdong Province for a US NYSE-listed company in Chemical Industry on FCPA and trade practice issues.
- Represented a US NASDAQ-listed high tech company in its investigation of the China sales team located in Shanghai on trade practice compliance.
- Represented a US medical device company to handle their FCPA compliance issues including training, investigation, interview and consultation on termination of key employees for breach of the code of business conduct.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- European Council for Commerce and Trade ("ECCT") - Honorary Member
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Illinois~United States (1986)
Case Western Reserve University
University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana
National Taiwan University
Baker & McKenzie, a Hong Kong partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.