Markus Janssen, head of the Firm's Euro-Japan practice in Tokyo, has over 20 years of experience as a foreign lawyer in Japan and has handled important transactions and projects for multinationals, as well as small and medium enterprises. Prior to joining Baker & McKenzie as an international partner in 2007, he was the managing partner of Janssen Foreign Law Office, a joint venture with Asahi Koma Law offices, after managing Haarmann, Hemmelrath & Partner during their build-up in Tokyo and previously developing a strong German practice at Sonderhoff & Einsel Law Office. Before coming to Japan, he had co-founded the environmental law practice of Janssen, Gassner, Siederer - now Gassner, Groth, Siederer - in Berlin in 1985.
Markus Janssen advises on projects between Europe and Japan regarding knowledge of both legal systems. He has extensive experience in major industry transactions in the Japanese market and is knowledgeable in Japan's business culture. He works in integrated teams with other practices in the Firm, including the M&A Group, the Banking and Finance Group and the Intellectual Property Group. He specializes in finding the right questions to grant his clients the right team with the right answers. That only the right questions lead to the right answers is his understanding of commitment to the client.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted numerous OEMs as well as automotive parts manufacturers in the reorganization of their operations and in the acquisitions in Japan, including the restructuring of the Volkswagen Japan group and the establishment of Audi Japan, assisting Robert Bosch GmbH in the acquisition of Zexel and the insolvency administrator of Wilhelm Karmann GmbH in the sale of the Japanese business operations to Magna.
- Assisted numerous automotive finance companies in the buy-out of Japanese joint venture partners and implementation of floor plans as well as the introduction of ABS structures.
- Assisted a major European pharmaceuticals company in numerous transactions in Japan and Asia, including the acquisition of a generics drug company in Japan.
- Assisted a major European chemicals group in agreements related to the exchange of business units with a Japanese competitor.
- Assisted European companies in the establishment and restructuring of joint ventures with Japanese partners.
- Assisted Japanese companies in acquisitions in Europe and in the US with respect to technology, consumer products.
- Assisted major European corporations in the structuring of acquisition projects in Japan.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- German Bar Association - Member
- Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association - Member
- German Japanese Juridical Association - Member
- German Embassay's Charity Fund - Member
Japan (Attorney at Foreign Law)~Japan (2000)
University of Berlin
(Second State Exam)
University of Cologne
(First State Exam)
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.