Katie Funk is a partner Baker & McKenzie’s Antitrust Practice Group in Washington, DC. She focuses her practice on all aspects of antitrust counseling and has significant experience litigating both antitrust and non-antitrust cases. Clients appreciate her pragmatic and, when necessary, creative approach to navigating the antitrust hurdles to their business goals.
Ms. Funk regularly counsels clients in matters before the Federal Trade Commission, the Department of Justice and state competition agencies. She has extensive experience drafting and advising on strategic alliances between competitors and on distribution issues, particularly in the health care, life sciences, energy, food, new media and consumer products industries. Ms. Funk previously served as an attorney at the FTC.
Ms. Funk’s broad experience also includes internal investigations and developing corporate compliance policies. She is also a guest lecturer on antitrust at the Johns Hopkins University Carey School of Business.
Representative Legal Matters
- In the Matter of Fresenius Medical Care AG & Co., KGaA, FTC File No. 111 0170 (Obtained clearance for Fresenius from FTC on its $2 billion acquisition of competing dialysis provider, Liberty Dialysis, Inc.)
- Jane Doe and Rhonda Roe v. Arizona Hospital and Healthcare Assoc., et al., No. CV 07 01292 (D. AZ.) (class-action settlement entered) (Sherman Act)
- In the Matter of Fresenius Medical Care AG & Co., KgaA, FTC File No. 081-0146 (Obtained clearance for Freseniusfrom FTC on exclusive license agreement with Daichi Sankyo Company, Ltd. for the IV iron drug Venofer.)
- Walco Int'l Inc. v. Ivy Animal Health Inc., 2005 WL 265216 (N.D. Tex.) (Obtained complete defense verdict on all claims) (Robinson-Patman Act)
- Sun Microsystems v. Microsoft, (MDL Maryland) (Part of team that obtained largest ever settlement in a civil antitrust case) (Sherman Act, Clayton Act, and a number of other claims)
- Nightingale’s Healthcare News, Outstanding Health Care Antitrust Lawyer (2008)
U.S. District Court, District of Columbia~United States (2003)
Missouri~United States (2002)
U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri~United States (2002)
District of Columbia~United States (1995)
California (inactive)~United States (1993)
Iowa (inactive)~United States (1992)
University of Iowa College of Law
(J.D. with Distinction)
(B.S.B.A. Accounting and Economics)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.